Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just got a copy of this new publication (Ian Allan, 2007, ISBN(13) 978 0711 032156, £14.99) while visiting the SW Herts MRC exhibition today. I have skimmed through this over the last couple of hours and can warmly recommend it both for the design of a layout and the appropriate signalling.
It has the following sections:
Historic review of the development of permanent way and track formations (Includes information on point design.)
Historic review of the development of signalling (Semaphore/subsidiary/colour light and telegraph poles)
Operating the Railway (How operating requirements influence track and signal layouts.)
Signal Stations (ie Signal boxes, signal huts and ground frames.)
A Modeller's viewpoint

There are also short appendices on Legislation and References and Sources.

There are many excellent black and white photos to illustrate the points that Bob Essery is making about prototype practice and its potential application to models.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>I've just got a copy of this new publication (Ian Allan, 2007, ISBN(13) 978 0711 032156, £14.99) while visiting

Ashford MRC

> exhibition today

As you can guess, so have I. I also got a copy of the Nicholson "Constructing and Operating Semaphore Signals" as well.

We can compare notes later....

David

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 12 May 2007, 22:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>>I've just got a copy of this new publication (Ian Allan, 2007, ISBN(13) 978 0711 032156, £14.99) while visiting

Ashford MRC

> exhibition today

As you can guess, so have I. I also got a copy of the Nicholson "Constructing and Operating Semaphore Signals" as well.

We can compare notes later....

David

Just like to say it was nice to meet you at Ashford on Saturday.

Regards

John

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>Just like to say it was nice to meet you at Ashford on Saturday.
and vice versa for me. The exhibition was enjoyable and there were a couple of very nicely turned out layouts (in addition to St. Laurent of course;).

When we had finished in Ashford we continued on to Dover and ended up "ferry spotting" from the cliffs above the harbour. I'm glad I wasn't on the channel on Saturday, although it was warm in the sunshine which prevailed for all of the late afternoon and early evening.

David

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
I've just got this book through Amazon, however not from Amazon themselves but through one of the subsidiary companies that they allow to advertise on their site. I think that it was Aphrohead Books. They only charged £7.77 brand new; they added £2.75 p & p so it came to £10.52 but that's still a good deal. Arrived in three days as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts