Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
QUOTE (Adrian Swain @ 24 Oct 2018, 10:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Folks Quote from Sir Willam :- " I suppose it makes a change from targeting Oxford Rail! " Or Dapol or Heljan or Accurascale or
Kernow or Hattons or Minerva or Bachmann or Hornby or anyone else that produces sub-standard RTR models without good reason.

It is not so much what you say, but how you say it.

·
In depth idiot
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Now the dust has settled a little, I might add a little on the late Adrian Swain.

He was highly regarded in his original career as an aerospace designer at Filton; the couple of his ex-colleagues I knew via my Pa were emphatic that he was demanding, but never without justifiable cause. I met him a couple of times in my teens at shows and he was both charming and full of creative ideas and advice, and I continue to value what I learned from him at that time: and of course the excellent range of kits and bits he produced which I have made much use of. My Pa was amused when visiting me in my first home to see Adrian's products, but considered this underuse of his talent when there was such need for his skill in cutting edge engineering.

Toward the end of his life I understand that he had the difficult task of first caring for his disabled mother, and after she had died, his own seriously deteriorating health to cope with. Not a happy end. RIP.

·
Registered
61 Posts
May I also add a little about Adrian?
I never knowingly met him but we corresponded through these pages by private messages on numerous occasions.
We had a mutual dislike of misleading “reviews” in magazines that’s for sure. We also had a mutual acquaintance who makes a nuisance of himself on a different forum (thankfully) and Adrian gave me some very good advice concerning this character.
I got a very good impression of Adrian, yes he was demanding but with the simple reason that models are literally as easy to get right as to get wrong. Obviously, this depends on having access to good information and this was something he managed as a one man band so why shouldn’t the larger companies manage it?
I consider myself privileged to have known him and definitely miss him.
RIP Adrian

·
In depth idiot
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
...We had a mutual dislike of misleading “reviews” in magazines that’s for sure...
I too was on the same page as Adrian in this respect, gave up on the rags - apart from an occasional MRJ - long ago, simply because I wasn't going to pay for slack-jawed-yokel quality 'journalism' that was evident in product reviews. A particularly risible comment on this matter in the original format MREmag, to the effect that I was some kind of terrorist for expecting reviewers to be competent in measurements, appraisal of design quality and assembly standards, told me all I needed to know.That this was easily accomplished by contemporary North American and German product reviewers made any objection ridiculous.

The UK mags had the chance to reset their review criteria when the much superior RTR OO of Chinese manufacture arrived, and totally failed to do so. Happily the internet fora have stepped in and rectified this lack. Not perfectly, but we do now get useful appraisals, and not just of 'as new' but also 'as performing' after significant use.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I too was on the same page as Adrian in this respect, gave up on the rags - apart from an occasional MRJ - long ago, simply because I wasn't going to pay for slack-jawed-yokel quality 'journalism' that was evident in product reviews. A particularly risible comment on this matter in the original format MREmag, to the effect that I was some kind of terrorist for expecting reviewers to be competent in measurements, appraisal of design quality and assembly standards, told me all I needed to know.That this was easily accomplished by contemporary North American and German product reviewers made any objection ridiculous.
MY FRIEND!!!
Wahoo, I’m very happy indeed to read that, I find it most heartening.
I have had arguments with one C. Leigh on another fora where I pointed out the calibre of British magazine reviews in comparison with US and European magazines. His response: “I don’t like your attitude”!
There was another thing recently where this same chap stated that it was too difficult and too expensive to put scale drawings in magazines now - I couldn’t be bothered to point out that Eisenbahn Model Magazine regularly manages to accomplish this. Yet this is one of the cheaper German magazines, still around €7.80 I believe so rather more than a typical UK rag but so much better for it.
Cheers,
John E.

·
In depth idiot
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
MY FRIEND!!! Wahoo, I’m very happy indeed to read that, I find it most heartening...
Sadly, this is a minority opinion that we share.

I spent a significant proportion of my working life in competitive evaluation of both products and services; and for my own entertainment, apply the resulting know how to the models I purchase. When I have mooted such methods online, miniscule interest is apparent. My conclusion is that the overwhelming majority of the UK customer base for RTR OO is just not that way inclined.

Remarkably we are increasingly well served in RTR OO by those prepared to invest in manufacturing and to push for better models, even if the customer base isn't sufficiently interested to understand that superior technique - especially in small detail rendition - comes with consequences such as the care required when the model is handled: and that the appropriate track standards and power supply may have to be attended to if the more sophisticated models are to operate successfully..

21 - 26 of 26 Posts