Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In order to pass the time during the winter months, I have been busying myself making things for my new layout.
I will use this post to show these to anyone who may be interested - hoping I can manage to upload the pics!

Regards
Ray

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry my Laptop has decided to do an update that is killing everything!

Regards
Ray

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RETAINING WALLS

I downloaded two different Scalescenes kits. One is for a curved tunnel section and the other is for the front of the layout.

CURVED SECTION

STRAIGHT SECTION ABOUT 4ft long with another section to go!

Both mounted on Art Mounting Board. Some weathering still to do.

Regards
Ray

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TURNTABLE

A modified PECO OO Turntable using bits of plastikard, card, balsa and a cut elastic hairband for the hose!

Embossed Plastikard around the well.

General View

Control Platform

Control Platform (Rear view)

Regards
Ray

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
hi Ray
posts must have crossed.looks good.might be useful for what i've got in mind.raised branchline station with mainlines underneath with similar walling.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MODIFIED Superquick ASH PLANT

I added some Scalescenes corrugated sheeting and some painted card concrete beams plus made the skip and rails from Plastikard. Not prototypically accurate but better than the original kit I think !

GENERAL VIEW

DETAIL OF SKIP AND RAILS

Regards
Ray

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BOILER HOUSE (Scalescenes again!!!)

Just a straighforward unmodified build.

FRONT

REAR

PROBABLE LOACTION BY ENGINE SHED

Regards
Ray

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2 ROAD DOUBLE LENGTH ENGINE SHED

Sufficient for 4 locos. (Scalescenes again - Sorry!)

Extra weathering with a wash of watercolour on the roofs and pastel pencils on inside lower wall.

NORMAL VIEW

UNSEEN SIDE

TOP VIEW

Regards
Ray

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LNWR GANTRY TYPE SIGNAL BOX

This is a basic Scalescenes chooped about a bit with Brassmasters windows. The Gantry is made up from a couple of Ratio Signal Gantrys and some plastic girder.

Not finished - still to add a ladder and the handrails and paint it.

BRICK BASE REMOVED

REAR CHIMNEY BASE REMOVED

INTERIOR DETAIL ADDED (Airfix figure and card levers)

BLOCK INSTRUMENTS ADDED (Plastikard)

FRONT VIEW

SIDE VIEW

More to follow eventually! I am also about to start a LNWR Tall Double box.

Regards
Ray

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (spurno @ 22 Jan 2012, 17:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi Ray
posts must have crossed.looks good.might be useful for what i've got in mind.raised branchline station with mainlines underneath with similar walling.

Hi Spurno
The walls are fairly easy to build and the kits are cheaper than buying ready made, especially if you have a fair length to build.

Regards
Ray

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
thanks Ray
i forgot to mention,i'm modelling in n guage and if i remember you're doing oo.are they available in n guage?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (spurno @ 22 Jan 2012, 18:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thanks Ray
i forgot to mention,i'm modelling in n guage and if i remember you're doing oo.are they available in n guage?

Yes they are, so no problem for you.

regards
Ray

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ASH / INSPECTION PITS

These are free dowload kits from Scalescenes. Very easy to build. The rail sleepers are simply cut away in the middle and glued (I used impact adhesive).

You can put in a couple of lighting strips but I am just going to put one led light on one end of each pit.

I will build another one as an ash pit (suitably weathered).

GENERAL VIEW

CLOSE VIEW OF END

Regards
Ray

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RATIO GANTRY CRANE

Straightforward build of the kit. I am going to use this as a loco hoist outside the engine shed.

VIEW 1

VIEW 2

Regards
Ray

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (10001 @ 22 Jan 2012, 20:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well done Ray .Some very good use of the scalescene kits. I'm looking forward to your build of the tall double LNWR signal box.
Regards

The key to modifying any kit is to try a mockup in light card first (old cereal packets). I will be making a start this week on the signal box.

I am also going to make a footbridge with two passenger lift towers as at Bangor (North Wales) station but I can't do that until I know the exact position it will be on the layout so I know what angle to make the ramps.

Another model in the pipeline is the old Prototype kit LNWR station which Reddo kindly supplied me.

Stay Tuned !!!!

Regards
Ray

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hi Ray you have been very well occupied during the bad weather,and your kit building skills are impressive. look forward to seeing more.

Albert.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts