Model Railway Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Longfunnelled&tiresome
2,058 Posts
Yup, I'd go along with the others in saying it looks real promising. I'll even wager it may lever you into DCC!
SWBO used to go on holiday every year to Penmaenmawr - she remembers being there one year when the Irish Mail was completely wrecked right along the front.

LF&T

·
Longfunnelled&tiresome
2,058 Posts
QUOTE (James Harrison @ 10 Jun 2012, 17:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know that on the Cross-City line in Birmingham (around Five Ways and Edgbaston) there is a cutting that is lined with brick arches like that. Where the cutting comes down to track level, the arches descend in steps whilst the parapet wall falls on a smooth gradient. I tried to find a couple of photos using google maps and the streetview feature, but frustratingly the roads don't go where I need them to!

Is this what you were looking for?

I captured it with "Print Screen" off Bing Maps birds eye view (without labels)

See my post #9 about it yesterday here

Happy to be of help...

LF&T

·
Longfunnelled&amp;tiresome
2,058 Posts
QUOTE (James Harrison @ 11 Jun 2012, 17:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's the one!
I must say I'm enjoying reading this thread... it is even giving me dangerous ideas about maybe extending my hypothetical layout beyond the station throat and around the room... maybe ...!
It is indeed a very DANGEROUS thought.

Take my advice stay with the purely hypothetical layout: its cheap, its a great space saver...and ...it never goes wrong.

Just look at that poor Ray: he's always humping heavy cement bags about or trying to chip the wrong lettering off his new scratch built diesels.

Best of all you can always post on other folks' threads to offer corrective advice. The post after this shows you how.

LF&T

·
2,058 Posts
QUOTE (Rhiwderin_Ray @ 12 Jun 2012, 15:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A reasonably productive day today ! (For a change!)
I brought two bags of cement that had gone solid to the council tip. Then I finally removed all of the old track from the baseboards.... I use a pair of track cutters to remove track pins as you can get the blades really underneath the heads of the pins. First remove all the obvious pins, then starting at the end of track, lift and jiggle the track gently at the same time. Any resistance is likely to be a hidden pin.
While you were at the council tip I hope you remembered to scavenge a few used old urine specimen bottles for storing those track pins as advised here (post #5 onwards) .

LF&T

·
2,058 Posts
Ray I haven't really checked this out, but it might apply to you and others building the underside storage to their layouts.
My son in building his new house has got a friend of his who is an excellent cabinet maker to build him a new hi spec kitchen.
And what does this guy use for the carcass? He buys Ikea stuff and adapts it.

It might both save money and a whole lot of effort methinks.

LF&T

PS
With all this under baseboard storage, how do you get underneath the layout to install wiring? Can the actual baseboard be propped up vertically to access the underside?

·
2,058 Posts
The motive power depot has come on a lot since I last dropped in, very impressive.
Amidst all LNWR detailing do I espy a signal box with GWR fenestration? Didn't you make a LNW Chester style box recently?

LF&T

·
2,058 Posts
I am full of admiration for your industrious progress - steadily working through the project, and at the same time documenting it all.

I'd like to ask you about these backscenes:
QUOTE (Rhiwderin_Ray @ 10 Sep 2012, 16:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...... arrived today were ....

They are CDC Street Level backscene buildings from Modeltrainsuk http://www.modeltrainsuk.co.uk/cdc-street-...-cards-83-c.asp
My question is how will you be able to modify them so that they represent the patterns of Welsh building along the coast from Chester to Bangor?
At present the only one that looks at home is the red brick with stone dressings facade on the left - the colouring looks quite close to a Ruabon red.
But the terrace backs look very Sarf London with their stock bricks and especially those lintols, something you might look out at passing Nunhead and Lewisham. Somewhere like Bangor has a mix of stone and slate quarried locally and bricks brought in by the railway.

LF&T

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.