Model Railway Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,882 Posts
One of Freezer's better plans I think, if you have the size of space needed. (His plans can easily be extended but many can't be contracted.) The only difficulty is likely to be the gradients involved. He sometimes used gradients that many on this forum would say are too severe.

I agree that a central operating well is very much an advantage. One good result is that coaches appear to close up on the bends when viewed from the inside rather than open up as they would do watched from the outside.

Good luck with the project.

Robert

·
Premium Member
2,882 Posts
You might be able to ease the gradients if you are willing to accept the minimum possible difference between levels. This could be done by having the upper station on thin plywood supported by metal cross pieces. Also, where the single line return loop goes under the double track, the double track could be supported on a thin metal sheet.

Of course this means difficulty if there is trouble underneath, but with no points involved you might be willing to take the gamble. If the upper station were made removable, then this problem becomes much less important. It is probably doable but you will have to be very careful with setting out the levels.

Robert

·
Premium Member
2,882 Posts
One little change that might help if the bases are going to be installed next to a wall first. When you come to attach the cross bearers, it will be easier if the rear L-shape has the horizontal piece projecting forwards. This will make it much easier to screw in from below and see what you are doing. Of course if it is all going to be fixed before placing it against a wall then this doesn't matter (unless you need to make alterations later). Also, if the front L-shape has its horizontal piece projecting backwards, then the front of the layout is a flush face, and you can more easily add a decorative fascia if you want to.

I hope this helps and that you can understand what I mean.

Robert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.