Status
Not open for further replies.
201 - 220 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Back to the baseboard for a while.

I cut out the area for the viaduct/embankment on the station baseboard.

Will have to erect the second frame before I can proceed to work out the pointwork and track curves.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
QUOTE (aw3k @ 14 Aug 2012, 17:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi Ray, sorry if its been posed up about the turntable but how will a rotary switch control the turntable?

really good work, keep it up

thanks

andy

Hi Andy.
The rotary switch only controls the feeds to the turntable sidings/approach. The turntable itself will be controlled through a separate motor switch.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
A little further progress.

I assembled the other baseboard frame, varnished and painted a board and then cut out the hole for the turntable.

The turntable will sit on its own removable subframe for ease of maintenance.

At the other (station) end, I rigged up this small extension board to finish off the station tracks and allow me to operate the board as a separate module.

Some point motors arrived today, so I will be busy enough over the weekend!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
QUOTE (James Harrison @ 18 Aug 2012, 11:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I say, that TT's a nice model. Is it scratchbuilt or a kit?

QUOTE (kiwionrails @ 18 Aug 2012, 12:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I must say that that is certainly a lovely turntable you have there

Regards,

Cameron(Kiwionrails)

Hi both.

The turntable is a Peco one with plastikard added to the well, modified railings and winding gear added.

Full details here.
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...showtopic=20857

·
Registered
629 Posts
QUOTE (Rhiwderin_Ray @ 18 Aug 2012, 13:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi both.

The turntable is a Peco one with plastikard added to the well, modified railings and winding gear added.

Full details here.
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...showtopic=20857

Hmmmm..... Marylebone had a TT too.... and I have a decent photo of it somewhere.....

You've made me put my thinking hat on now....

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
It's been a while since my last update but I have been busy.

I've finished wiring up the station baseboard - just awaiting some 16 pin D plugs & sockets for joining to next board.

Have had to amend the pointwork on the second board and have added under baseboard point motors.

I have also worked out where to place my controls and installed them.

Overall shot of controls

The mimic board is hinged at the base for ease of access

The Peco capacitor discharge unit is in place and the probe fits in the mimic board.

Awaiting some more points and point motors now then I can wire up the controls.

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
Thats a good looking control board Ray,somthing I have got to start looking into for mine.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
Slow progress, but I have completed wiring up the first board.

Each 4ft board wiring is joined via 15 pin D computer connectors and wiring labelled and tidied up.

Having a break from wiring today and making the incline for the coaling stage.

Have just ordered up a few LNWR water cranes for lower and upper loco yards..

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Finished for today - it is pouring down and rather gloomy.

A hole for the ash pit has been cut out with an electric jig saw. Luckily I checked that it fitted between the support battens !

Ramp supports for the coaling stage incline were cut and glued/pinned in place. The incline is a piece of scrap hardboard.

With the Bachmann LNWR coaling stage in place you get the idea.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
Today I have laid the MPD tracks including the isolated sections

Tested the coaling stage incline and small locos work ok on it - phew!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Have spent the last couple of days trying to finish off the ramp for the coaling stage.

Components are some dressed stone plastikard, some wood section and a sharp knife, a steel rule and some Evostick (I tried PVA but it didn't stick too well)

The wood section is for making pillars and these are simply cut to length. The front face plastikard is cut oversize to allow for the sides.

I glued on the front face first, then each of the sides.

Finally the pieces are trimmed with a sharp knife and then the edges rounded with a file.

With the pillars in place some plastikard sheet is cut to size and glued between the pillars.

Some artists mounting board strips are used for wall capping.

The wall is then temporarily set in place against the ramp and a line scribed on the back to indicate the level of the ramp. Then Plastikard is glued in place following the line, keeping the stone courses level.

One rear wall in place.

One side completed - just the other one to go and then painting !!

This could take a while !!

BTW If anyone has any photos of a LNWR Lamp Hut it would be much appreciated ! I can find LMS and ex-MR ones but not LNWR for some odd reason?

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
Nice job there Ray, should look the part when painted & weathered up

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
QUOTE (Mercator II @ 29 Aug 2012, 17:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice job there Ray, should look the part when painted & weathered up

Thanks Brian.
It is very time consuming. Not difficult, just tedious.

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
Coming along very well nice walling Ray

201 - 220 of 251 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.