Model Railway Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
241 - 251 of 251 Posts
What voltage are you going to run the motor on? I found that at 3 or 4.5v it is incredibly noisy, let alone the 6v I'd used from a battery pack, or the 12?v of a model railway accessory bus! I've been experimenting with the thing however, and have decided that I an reduce the noise by using a motor out of (I think) a DVD/CD player and making my own version of the clear plastic container thing. If I'm totally unsuccessful, I will simply use the standard stuff...
Nice to know how you went about motorising

Discussion starter · #242 ·
QUOTE (Nathan Burnham @ 12 Sep 2012, 17:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What voltage are you going to run the motor on? I found that at 3 or 4.5v it is incredibly noisy, let alone the 6v I'd used from a battery pack, or the 12?v of a model railway accessory bus! I've been experimenting with the thing however, and have decided that I an reduce the noise by using a motor out of (I think) a DVD/CD player and making my own version of the clear plastic container thing. If I'm totally unsuccessful, I will simply use the standard stuff...
Nice to know how you went about motorising

Hi Nathan. I used an old basic Hornby train set controller. Controlled 12v output.

Discussion starter · #244 ·
Many thanks for the kind comments. Progress has slowed right down for a number of reasons including awaiting for some bits to arrive and also studying for my exam in a couple of weeks.

I have built a little loading dock from some plastic sheet (awaiting a working yard light for it) I have a yard crane somewhere in storage.

The cobblestones are Wills but with tops sanded down slightly and painted.

Have also made up some timetable boards from plastic sheet and added some posters to a Merit/Wills hoarding.

In the meantime I have purchased a Hornby Class 110 DMU set and an extra centre car plus a Bachmann Royal Scot and Patriot.

On order is a station building, some signs tailored to the layout, some working station and yard lamps and a Lima Crab !

I think there will only be a few posts over the next couple of weeks as I prepare for my exam and also start a new term course.

Hi Ray it all looks very good now turning into a proper railway layout out now that BR station board looks the part. And good luck with your exam

Discussion starter · #247 ·
These Station and pub signs arrived today from Tracksidesigns. http://tracksidesigns.co.uk/ Usual disclaimer, I am purely a customer.
Must say they are excellent and something unique too for the layout. You can choose up to 3 unique station names and they will create the signs.

Also obtained some station lamps from ebay. They were red but are now maroon !

Discussion starter · #248 ·
Station lamps in place and working, plus a flourescent under the canopy.

Station building now under construction. It will be illuminated and have an illuminated clock.

QUOTE (Rhiwderin_Ray @ 22 Sep 2012, 10:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>These Station and pub signs arrived today from Tracksidesigns. http://tracksidesigns.co.uk/ Usual disclaimer, I am purely a customer.
Must say they are excellent and something unique too for the layout. You can choose up to 3 unique station names and they will create the signs.

They look great Ray,

Just had a look at the website, shame for me they don't do Northern Rail, I suppose it's due to licencing. I'll have to make my own.

Cheers, Chris.

Instead of deleting this whole topic - as it was just going down hill unfortunately - some posts have been removed and it is now closed.

If Ray decides to come back and start it up again, I'll open it for him with pleasure.

It is a shame that topics like this, that contain such excellent modelling get messed up by bickering and in-fighting.

241 - 251 of 251 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.