Model Railway Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 251 Posts
My layout is based on one of Freezer's plans. I increased the size of the plan to fit my space. This along with what Robert said above about gradients eased any gradient problems.

Ray I would opt for a centre operated layout every time . The smallest I built was in a shed 6'6" x 4'6" ( Hannem 1)
It may be a squeeze but its better than something over 3 feet wide !
Worth modifying the Freezer plan .

Graham

Hi Ray,

Though it wasn't intended to be taken seriously the thought of converting the Fore Street plan to N gauge set the old grey matter going and I have come up with an N Gauge plan which is based on Fore Street but with a few added embelishments.

The exact CJF point configuration as shown in his original plan just can't be done but with a bit of playing around I've managed to get it pretty close. With some careful gradient building, including rising & falling gradients to provide the necessary clearance under the main terminus station, the maximum gradient is 1 in 50. The overall size is 8ft x 6ft so it's certainly quite buildable in a 3rd bedroom.

I've left out the terminus platforms to better show the hidden (grey) trackwork. I've not shown any scenery or buildings at this stage but there is plenty of scope for individual interpretation. The only draw-back is the lack of storage sidings but I reckon there's enough space in the exposed siding to hold a reasonable selection of locos and rolling stock.

Anyway, here is my interpretation of it which I'm also going to post in the N Gauge Track Plans thread

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Nicely done Trevor !

I am still pondering but have been working on LMS 10000 project today (separate thread) !

Looks promising, Ray. I lived in Treaddur Bay (spelling?) in Anglesea for a few years and have fond memories of the line. Also, of course, being from Liverpool, spent quite a few holidays in NW as a child and before the arrival of our first car (a 1935 Morris 8 - such luxury!) went by train. My favourite part of the line was the bit around Conwy Castle with the suspension bridge - that would take some modelling......

QUOTE (PeterPug @ 16 May 2012, 10:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks promising, Ray. I lived in Treaddur Bay (spelling?) in Anglesea for a few years and have fond memories of the line. Also, of course, being from Liverpool, spent quite a few holidays in NW as a child and before the arrival of our first car (a 1935 Morris 8 - such luxury!) went by train. My favourite part of the line was the bit around Conwy Castle with the suspension bridge - that would take some modelling......

I was up there last year and things have not changed much. Just the main road which goes under the conwy estraury and comes out on the other side of conway. you miss the chance of seeing a train coming out of the Tube? before coming into Llandudno Junction.

Steve

Discussion starter · #48 ·
Regrettably, I have decided to leave the forum, for reasons not appropriate to mention.

For anyone interested in this and other projects, I will continue to update my photobucket albums.

http://s1126.photobucket.com/albums/l603/rhiwderin_ray/

I wish the forum and its members continued success and thank the many people who have read my posts.

Hi Ray,

Thats sad news, you leaving us..!!

Its your decision obviously and thats private to you but I hope its nothing thats been said on the forum that is driving you away...

Good luck Ray with whatever you decide to do in the future.

cheers
Ron

QUOTE (RonLaden @ 27 May 2012, 20:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Ray,

Thats sad news, you leaving us..!!

Its your decision obviously and thats private to you but I hope its nothing thats been said on the forum that is driving you away...

Good luck Ray with whatever you decide to do in the future.

cheers
Ron

Seconded, you'll be sorely missed

Regards,

Cameron(Kiwionrails)

Many thanks for the support shown by members. I will try to limit my posts to my own modelling for the foreseeable future.

Here is a plan I came across in the PSL Book of Model Railway Track Plans No. 60 Bruddersford. Size is approx 3m (10 ft) x 2.10m (7ft). It does offer better gradients but loses continuous running. Engine facilities are marginally better. I still would not be able to use my Bachmann LNWR/LMS coaling stage (raised track for coal wagons) unless modified. Also train lengths are quite restricted (about 4 carriages)

All comments welcome !!

Iain Rice's Plans for Urban Layouts is arriving soon, so that my also provide something!

Thats a nice plan Ray

I think with a little altering it can be made into a continues run, my thinking is, if you remove the station on the bottom part of the plan, then have the tracks curve round under the raised area and connect to the lines that come down from the raised lines in the hidden section, then you could have the continues run and the mainline terminus, any trains wanting to return to the raised terminus would do so from the station at the top of the plan, you could turn the area where the remove station is into some industrial sides, I would then remove the TT from the bottom left, again would leave more room for scenery

hth

Just spend the afternoon doodling around. This pic shows all stations extended by 1 foot and also the lower viaduct.

I have made the lower engine shed into a coaling stage as the size of the lower station does not really warrant a shed.

The upper engine shed is blanked off at the rear and so the lead in becomes a station pilot headshunt. I also indicated a loco release crossover in the upper station. The upper goods shed needs moved back a bit on the plan but that is a minor point.

Discussion starter · #56 ·
Well, Iain Rice's Urban Layouts book came - and went! Nothing in there to suit my requirements unfortunately. He is a great modeller, but I rarely see a plan of his that I like. Just a personal thing.

Anyway, I got the pen out and modified the plan yet again.

I have reverted the top loco shed to double ended - that will mean modification of my already built Scalescenes shed!

The upper goods shed has been moved back along the siding. The top siding close to the station will be made into a platformroad for parcels traffic, I think.

The bottom coaling stage was incorrect as it had an approach via the turntable, so I moved the goods headshunt and put in another approach.

The lower station platform can be extended slightly to the left to balance train lengths.

I think the (final?) plan should be ok. It doesn't have a continuous run, but that will stop me being lazy and actually have to operate the layout to some sort of sequence!

Anyway - here it is (I think!). All contributions welcome as usual !

Hi Ray looks a good plan, I all so hope you will stay with the forum. What size is your plan ,and how soon can you build it in my garage, just joking

Regards Dave

Hi Ray and I hope we can let bygones be bygones,

That looks a very interesting plan and it will certainly keep you on your toes with it being end to end. I'm guessing you will have to duck under to get to the centre well as a lift-up access would be very complicated to construct.

I don't know if you have any additional space available but the only way I can see of getting a continuous circuit in is to take a twin track branch off from the right hand side of the low level station at the top of the plan and take it right around the outside to rejoin at the left hand side of the station.

Well I have decided to run with this one (Plan 60) although I may tinker and try to fit 2 loops under the top station.

As with all multi-level plans you need to start at the bottom and work upwards.

The lower station will be stage one. Pretty self contained and can be run as a little layout until time and money permit stage two (Intermediate station) then Stage three (Top station)

PS Bruddersford comes from J. B. Priestley's fictionalization of Bradford.
My stations will be Belmont (Main station) and Dormington and Mordiford. (From my childhood in Herefordshire)

Hi, folks!

I undertook a couple of planning exercises yesterday.

Step 1 was to work out spot heights and gradients. The maximum gradient is 1:40 which is acceptable for a train length of around 4 - 5 coaches.
The lower station is at 0", intermediate station at 1", tunnel exit under station is 2.5" and upper station about 6"

Step 2 was to work out the points required.

Step 3 was to mark out DC feed points and section breaks.

Just need to work up the courage now to tackle the garage, dismantle the old layout and tidy everything up in preparation for new construction! - Don't hold your breath !!!

PS Some interesting photos of the original Bradford Exchange Station to be found here
http://www.railbrit.co.uk/location.php?loc...ford%20Exchange

Gives a good idea of the overall roof and retaining walls required.

41 - 60 of 251 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.