Model Railway Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 251 Posts

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
gQUOTE (Robert Stokes @ 21 Jun 2012, 18:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One little change that might help if the bases are going to be installed next to a wall first. When you come to attach the cross bearers, it will be easier if the rear L-shape has the horizontal piece projecting forwards. This will make it much easier to screw in from below and see what you are doing. Of course if it is all going to be fixed before placing it against a wall then this doesn't matter (unless you need to make alterations later). Also, if the front L-shape has its horizontal piece projecting backwards, then the front of the layout is a flush face, and you can more easily add a decorative fascia if you want to.

I hope this helps and that you can understand what I mean.

Robert

Many thanks, Robert. That is most useful.

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Well as usual al my plans came to nought. Went to the Exeter Model Railway show on Saturday and picked up a few ideas and tips. Also got a booklet on LMS liveries.
Sunday, I did some more studying in the sunshine and then painted some figures.
I also bought a nice Gaugemaster twin controller with brake simulator on fleabay. Saw a similar one go for £8 more so was happy enough.

I will clear the top of the old layout completely today and remove two baseboards. (Promise!)

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Well with a herculean effort, all is dismantled and all railway bits put away in boxes. Just need to tidy up the garage space now for the workmen (another mammoth task in itself!)

No more progress until next Wednesday when I will buy some timber with my B&Q Senior Citizen's Discount of 10% !!

Back to OU studies now as I have a 2000 word essay to submit by Wednesday!

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
All tidy in the garage now. Tuesday, move some shelving back in place and Wednesday buy some wood. Can't wait to get started, even though I haven't used L girder or ply before!

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
In preparation for the major woodworking task ahead, I purchased these variable depth countersink drill. They allow you to drill and countersink in one operation and set the drill/countersink depth with an allen key. Only £6 so if they don't work then nothing much lost!

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Well it was a struggle to get two packs of 2.7m long timber into the car and drive home but it was only about a mile, so all in the garage safe and sound. Also got two sheets of 9mm ply.

Only problem now is I need some good weather to cut the timber to size and glue and screw the L girders.

· Premium Member
1,989 Posts
QUOTE (Rhiwderin_Ray @ 4 Jul 2012, 10:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Only problem now is I need some good weather to cut the timber to size and glue and screw the L girders.

Dont worry Ray, I heard that the summer is on its way - due to arrive about the end of September for a whole week I think..

cheers
Ron

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Miracle of Miracles - a dry afternoon so the framework began.

I bought two different sizes of wood for the L Girders (both 2.7m long) Planed Smooth 44mm x 18mm and 70mm x 18mm.

So with two lengths of each cut square to 8ft (2.44M) I measured in 9mm on the smaller beam.

I use this Combination Square to get a nice even line by placing a pencil along the end and then move the square along the wood.

Next I used the new adjustable countersink drill to drill at the ends and at 1 foot intervals (You can tell I'm a Metric convert can't you!)

With the deep beam in the workbench I ran a bead of woodworking glue along the top edge, then screwed down the smaller piece on top, making sure that it was square at the back edge and the ends. (Do both ends and work inwards). There is a pliilr bow in wood so make sure the edges align before screwing each hole.

One done

Both beams complete!

To be continued ... (weather permitting!!)

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Today's job was inserting four support blocks at the ends of the L girders to enable end pieces to be fitted (for joining other layout modules).

First the blocks were cut to the depth of the girder.
A line was marked at 18mm in from the edge and another line marked to indicate the width of the block.
The position of the fixing holes was marked, taking account of where the fixing screws for the end pieces will be.

Outside view

Inside view (don't worry about the pencil marks, they mean nothing!)

The blocks were glued and clamped in position then screws inserted.

Finished - blocks glued and screwed in position.

The next step will be to work out where the cross battens on top of the L girders will go.

Although most L girders have the vertical to the inside of the module, I have chosen to put the verticals towards the edges of the baseboard in order to help support the fascia and backscene.

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
QUOTE (TheBufoon @ 5 Jul 2012, 14:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That last pic looks better
, no splits in the timber, pilot hole or soap?

Cheers, Chris.

Neither ! Just luck !

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Ok, following on from this morning's work and while the weather held, I marked out the location of the top battens.

Fist I marked the L girders clearly as to which one was the inner and which the outer.
Next I clamped them together and with the lining paper plan on which I had marked the positions of the battens I transfers these marks onto the timber girders.

These marks are the centre lines, so I measured out 9mm each way on each and drew lines across both L girders. This gives me guides for the top battens as illustrated.

Top batten position marked out. (Not an actual batten ! - just a similar sized piece of wood)

That's it for the moment....

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
As a break from today's construction, I have been browsing through Michael Jones' excellent book "Steam on the North Wales Coast" with an eye to planning what sock I can run on the layout.

First of all I was surprised by the number of destinations on the Up line. Here is a list for 14th July 1962:-

Manchester
Cardiff
Stoke
Liverpool
Sheffield
Euston
Leeds
Derby
Birmingham
Chester

Quite a variety!

Next I looked at the type of traffic which obviously varied over time but included:

Express passenger
Local Stopping
Holiday excursions
Cattle & livestock
Meat
Parcels
Mineral (Limestone out, coal in)
Chemicals
General freight
Slate (mainly on the GWR line)

So plenty of action! I have started to build up my stock of cattle wagons!

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Since the weather has held up, I cut 5 spacers for between the girders this evening. A good day's work!

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Cut another two spacers this morning.

Cutting takes less time and effort with one of these!

Spacers placed in position (double spacers for where the legs will go)

It's all glued and screwed in position now!

Top battens next....

101 - 120 of 251 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.