Model Railway Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray's new layout - based on North Wales' Coast line

57K views 250 replies 45 participants last post by  Doug 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi folks,
Well as I am going on holiday for 3 weeks, I thought I would commit myself into building a new layout on my return. My last effort was a 9ft x 4ft point to point with continuous run, but the curves were too tight and lots of locos can't run properly on it. So it will be ripped up in the near future and a new continuous run 10ft x 5ft (or 10ft x 6ft if I can squeeze it in) will be built in my garage.

The new plan will be a purely fictitious station, MPD and goods yard somewhere on the North Wales Coast line.

This is an 8ft x 4ft version designed by S. Jay that I will slightly modify.

There are several reasons for choosing the North Wales location (even though you won't glimpse the sea on this layout!).
First I am a LMS man even though I was born in GWR country (Hereford)
There was a large amount of traffic on the line, freight and passenger, especially with summer holiday traffic. Crack expresses like the Irish Mail and small local trains, it's all there!
I can run just about everything the LMS used from small tank to pacific and still be prototypical (except perhaps for the Coronation Scot - I have no record of that - but it won't stop me!)
There was some interesting architecture to be seen on the line.
In BR days, some unusual visitors were seen including B1's and even the Gas Turbine GT3.

I have a large loco stock so I wanted to include a MPD, just to have a few on display and operational.
The design is interesting enough to operate three trains (2 passenger and one goods), with plenty of scope for exchange of engines and also some shunting.

So that is the plan. I will take this thread all the way from baseboard construction, to track laying, wiring (DC not DCC) and scenics (mainly urban).
I will try to salvage some stuff from my old layout but there will be a new LNWR station building, Bangor style footbridge and other interesting bits and pieces. Other bits, like Engine Shed and Signal Boxes, I have already prepared (see Ray's Building Site thread below).

That's all for the moment, will continue in May, all being well.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ray , Know the North Wales lines well , used to stay there at weekends as a teenager . We could see the trains from the "bungalow" in the dunes . (Bungalow made from old Victorian carriages , complete with fittings from old passenger ships , and a proper cooking "range" , even had Victorian oil-lamps , All Bulldozed in the early 70's when the 99 yr lease ran out . Now a massive caravan park !
Nearly forgot - The line on your plan needs to be a twin track - I do have pics of Loco depots etc in the area if you want any

Graham

#3 ·
QUOTE (Capt Jango @ 6 Apr 2012, 12:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ray , Know the North Wales lines well , used to stay there at weekends as a teenager . We could see the trains from the "bungalow" in the dunes . (Bungalow made from old Victorian carriages , complete with fittings from old passenger ships , and a proper cooking "range" , even had Victorian oil-lamps , All Bulldozed in the early 70's when the 99 yr lease ran out . Now a massive caravan park !
Nearly forgot - The line on your plan needs to be a twin track - I do have pics of Loco depots etc in the area if you want any

Graham

Thanks Graham.
I have 2 good books about the line plus a couple of others on LMS MPDs.

I will see if I can squeeze in a double track, but I could also do with a couple of storage loops. If I can make the width 6ft it will ease things a lot, including tight curves.
There will be a short "urban" tunnel to disguise the continuous run a bit and also a level crossing by the goods yard. The loco coaling area will also change slightly to allow a Bachmann LNWR type coal/water shed plus my ash plant.

#7 ·
Bangor, N. Wales has a distinctive twin tower footbridge. Towers incorporate lifts.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can change the turntable arrangement easily. May be able to remove the diesel shed and change the approach. Will have a think!

No sketch pads, unfortunately I have to study for Open University while away and write a 2000 word essay!

#8 ·
QUOTE (Rhiwderin_Ray @ 6 Apr 2012, 13:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bangor, N. Wales has a distinctive twin tower footbridge. Towers incorporate lifts.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can change the turntable arrangement easily. May be able to remove the diesel shed and change the approach. Will have a think!

No sketch pads, unfortunately I have to study for Open University while away and write a 2000 word essay!

Cheers Ray. The essay should be easy. Write it on model railways

#9 ·
Looking again at the MPD, the extra length will alow me to make the turntable single line and remove all other outlets. Then take a feed off the r/h coal and water siding to an angled engine shed. Ditch the diesel shed and just have sectioned sidings.
Sound better??

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK Guys.

I had a quick redraw based on suggestions.

REVISED PLAN (10ft x 6ft)

There are four double-slip crossings! (the X's)

Let me know what you think ! (No rush - you've got 3 weeks!)

#13 ·
Hi Ray,

Love the new plan mate. Love the idea based on North Wales coastline! Me and my best mate used to ride behind 37's (of course) in the late nineties and my new 'large shed layout' is loosely based on that aswell.

Looking forward to your progress pics etc.

Kind regards

Paul

#14 ·
QUOTE (SirWilliamFRS @ 6 Apr 2012, 16:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You have got an excuse to run it on a North Wales layout!

You don't need an excuse Ray, it's your layout so run what you bally well want mate.

I too love the LMS (my grandfather worked for them).

Kind regards

Paul

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (SirWilliamFRS @ 6 Apr 2012, 16:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You have got an excuse to run it on a North Wales layout!

You don't need an excuse Ray, But it's good that there is one I say, but remeber this, it's your layout so run what you bally well want mate.

I too love the LMS (my grandfather worked for them).

Kind regards

Paul

#17 ·
QUOTE (spurno @ 6 Apr 2012, 19:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>nice plan Ray.good luck with your essay.what are you studying?
Hi Spurno. It's a history degree.

#18 ·
Hi RAY I like your plan how long are your longest trains going to be 4/5/6 coaches and are you going to put your gantry signal box on your layout?As you know i'm starting my layout soon so i be followings your progress with interest and no doubt plenty of questions.Hope your holiday goes well not all work, history is a great subject and one that interest me all though i don't think i'll be doing a degree. Swmbo has one and says keeping your essay under 2000 words will be the hard part but anyway good luck with that and enjoy your time out! Cheers Jim

#19 ·
Hi Jim, about 5 - 6 coaches I am hoping. Yes the gantry box will go at the top and the tall box by the station. Retaining walls at the top.

#21 ·
That's better Ray but I would move the access road to the turntable to between the 2 sets of points in the MPD. It's a bit isolated where it is and makes the pointwork unnecessarily complex. I also see that you have a set of facing points to the right of the station which should be reversed.

#23 ·
QUOTE (Expat @ 7 Apr 2012, 00:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's better Ray but I would move the access road to the turntable to between the 2 sets of points in the MPD. It's a bit isolated where it is and makes the pointwork unnecessarily complex. I also see that you have a set of facing points to the right of the station which should be reversed.

I was thinking the same things myself Trevor! (Great minds and all that!)
The revision was just a quick "I wonder if it is possible" sketch without too much thought going into it.

I forgot to say the the extra width will allow an outer radius of about 2ft 10in and an inner one (at station) of about 2ft 6" which while not generous should suffice.

I may put a short siding lower left for station pilot loco.

Wish I could squeeze in at least one carriage siding that could take around 3-4 carriages (say 40"). The only way I see is to slightly shorten the main oval and put in a curved siding instead of the station pilot siding on the lower left.

Anyway that's it now for 3 weeks!

#24 ·
Quick Revision - even managed the carriage siding!

#25 ·
#26 ·
Hi Ray,

I'm very interested in your quest to produce an interesting small layout.

As mentioned I'm more in favour of your first design rather than the last two. There exists many sheds that were dependent upon a turntable to feed their sheds with loco's. Some that come to mind from the Southern Region being Sidmouth, Sevenoaks, Maidstone East, Leatherhead, Swanage and the design I will recommend to you being Margate West. There are also limited examples of this design in the other three regions.

In the Margate West MPD there are two roads which run around each side of an island type coal stage to the turntable. From the turntable three separate roads lead to the dead end shed. You could easily some extra tracks around the sides of the shed for loco storage/scrap line etc.

This way you get layout similar to real life which is compact and has a logical flow of duties for steam engines coming onto and off shed.

I'll get you a drawing to consider.

Regards
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.