Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I went to the Toy Fair at St Albans tonight and saw some interesting examples of old ready-made signals.

Firstly I got a Hornby-Dublo 'Home' signal, electrically operated. Does not work well - the former on which the little solenoid coils are wound on in the base inside has distorted slightlywith use or old age, causing the solenoid armature to stick. I hope with a few bits of plasticard under each end of the former I can straighten it up. The actual post is not the straightest either. But not bad for only £5 - another stall was selling similar items at £12-£14.

The other items I saw were signals, 4mm scale, with working arms. The posts were die-castings with plastic levers and wire operating the (slightly overscale) metal arms. On the bases they were marked 'Crescent' but with no date or place of manufacture. There were single, two post (dolly) and three post bracket signals. Prices were around £10 for a single, £12 for a double and £14-£16 for a triple post.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
the crescent signals may well date back to the 1950's....

I also have some Hornby-Dublo signals, albeit manual one's......I notice just how much 'finer' they are compared to the current Hornby items?

{I also note, how much more robust they are too..the current hornby items, with their printed 'plastic' arms, freqently break at the pivot hole?]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts