Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 23 Posts

· Administrator
10,744 Posts
I don't know how lighting was arranged on continental locomotives, but the two Swiss steam locos I have seen (here's an example in the gallery) have pretty large lamps which appear to be permanent parts of the locomotive. This probably makes them easier to wire in and electrify on a model.

British locomotives, by contrast carried oil (paraffin?) lamps which were mounted on brackets placed at the front of the locomotive. There are three along the top of the buffer beam and one placed centrally on or above the smokebox door. The lamps are not particularly large either. The location of these lamps and their small size even at the larger 1:76 scale of OO makes creating working lights on a British outline model a difficult task. Add to that the fact of the four lamp locations, only those required for the particular train code were installed at any one time, you can't really have a fixed arrangement. There are different codes for Express Passenger and Light Engine for example.

Lighting on the tender is also by lamps hung on brackets.

To get some idea of the scale of the problem, you can just see the buffer beam lamp brackets in this photo of 46440 which I have uploaded to the gallery. Unfortunately the gallery does not support the full 3000 pixel width of the original, but you can just make them out if you know where to look.

I have wondered about the possibility of wiring some small surface mount LEDs by hand but I really don't think it's on.

I do think that in this DCC age that the manufacturers could give us a firebox glow and a smoke generator.

In summary, British steam locomotive lighting is literally out on a limb.

David

· Administrator
10,744 Posts
Having said earlier that it would be a challenge, about the same time, this thread started and wouldn't you know it, someone has made a very convincing job of working headlamps on British outline locomotives. Scroll down for the pictures.

Re headcodes; the information I have on an old wall chart shows the revised RCH codes in the link that Andrew posted.

David

1 - 2 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.