Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst not wishing to nit-pick and having noted your comments on proof checking/amendments I feel the following should be brought to your attention

Unfortunately the panel showing depot allocations for the Bachmann WD's which states "This is their allocation history from 1948" is inaccurate.

The earliest date I have information for is from August 1952 which is as follows:-

Aug-50 Sep-51 51A Darlington
Sep-51 Jan-52 53A Hull Dairycoates
Jan-52 Mar-52 8B Warrington
Mar-52 Apr-52 7A Llandudno Jct
Apr-52 Jun-52 6B Mold Junction
Jun-52 Mar-54 38A Colwick
Mar-54 Apr-57 2E Northampton
Apr-57 Jul-59 6B Mold Junction
Jul-59 Mar-63 8D Widnes
Mar-63 Sep-64 10A Springs Branch
Sep-64 Dec-65 38A Colwick (Date Withdrawn)

Widnes shed closed in April 1964

Aug-50 Apr-51 82D Westbury
Apr-51 Jun-51 86G Pontypool Road
Jun-51 Aug-51 86A Ebbw Junction
Aug-51 Jun-57 86C Cardiff Canton
Jun-57 Oct-62 81C Southall (Date Withdrawn)

I lived in Widnes till 1965 and knew the shed had closed prior to my departure - which is what alerted me to the errors in the first instance.

I feel it is important that "factual" items are accurately reported to prevent modellers basing their layouts on incorrect information. In a relatively short time your magazine has built up a good reputation and I would not wish it to become regarded as "unreliable" because of such factual errors.

In this case I cannot tell whether the inaccuracies are a result of the sources used by the author, or in the editing/proof correction stage

Regards

Ian Breeden
on checking was in

·
Registered
2 Posts
It would have been very useful if the article had answered a couple of additional questions. Can these be answered in the Ask the Ed section?

1. What parts of the country would each of Bachmanns variations be suitable for (i.e not just the current models), pointing out the differences between GW variants and the rest.

2. What liveries did Austerities run in on UK metals during the war. I know they did running-in turns in the 2 liveries Bachmann have produced but was this typical?

Phil Morris

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Phil

"1. What parts of the country would each of Bachmanns variations be suitable for (i.e not just the current models), pointing out the differences between GW variants and the rest."

From the wording of your first paragraph you appear to confusing the WW 1 ROD 2-8-0's - purchased by the GWR and subsequently "Swindonised". As far as I am aware there were no alterations made to the WD 2-8-0's loaned to the GWR. However, the GWR did allocate the boiler code MC to 25 boilers overhauled at Swindon, which followed on from the MA & MB boiler codes used for ex ROD 2-8-0's

According to Volume 3 of the Heavy Goods Engines of the War Department by J.W.P. Rowledge the 1943-45 loans were as follows - LNER 350, LMS 50, SR 50.

89 of these were subsequently transferred to the GWR from 9/44 onwards to replace USATC (United States Army Transportation Corps) S 160 2-8-0's which had been working on the GWR but were shipped to Europe after D-Day.

The same source states the earlier Locomotives were Khaki Brown with later batches being in 'Army Green'.

Tables in the book give details of loan dates, number changes etc.

Hope this helps

Regards

Ian 47

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I know that some of the SR locos were allocated to Bricklayers Arms while painted khaki. They were used to run freight to Thanet and Dover.

By all accounts the Southern crews were not that impressed with them.

Regards

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
The GWR did make some small changes to the Riddles WDs, they applied a cover to the top feed and I believe they added a fire iron tunnel to the footplate - can anyone confirm this? I'd need to check some reference books to be sure....

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (60134 @ 18 Apr 2008, 12:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The GWR did make some small changes to the Riddles WDs, they applied a cover to the top feed and I believe they added a fire iron tunnel to the footplate - can anyone confirm this? I'd need to check some reference books to be sure....

You are spot on 60134. This is as per Bachmann's 90630 amd so we can give them a pat on the back on this occassion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ian

thanks, that is very useful as it seems to confirm that WWII liveries are as the 2 Bachmann variants - a deserty colour and a green. As far as GW versus the rest, I had understod that GW variants include at least a long housing on the starboard side (as per at least one of the Bachmann models). I would also like to understand which variants included the westinghouse brake cylinders.

Phil

QUOTE (Ian 47 @ 17 Apr 2008, 20:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Phil

"1. What parts of the country would each of Bachmanns variations be suitable for (i.e not just the current models), pointing out the differences between GW variants and the rest."

From the wording of your first paragraph you appear to confusing the WW 1 ROD 2-8-0's - purchased by the GWR and subsequently "Swindonised". As far as I am aware there were no alterations made to the WD 2-8-0's loaned to the GWR. However, the GWR did allocate the boiler code MC to 25 boilers overhauled at Swindon, which followed on from the MA & MB boiler codes used for ex ROD 2-8-0's

According to Volume 3 of the Heavy Goods Engines of the War Department by J.W.P. Rowledge the 1943-45 loans were as follows - LNER 350, LMS 50, SR 50.

89 of these were subsequently transferred to the GWR from 9/44 onwards to replace USATC (United States Army Transportation Corps) S 160 2-8-0's which had been working on the GWR but were shipped to Europe after D-Day.

The same source states the earlier Locomotives were Khaki Brown with later batches being in 'Army Green'.

Tables in the book give details of loan dates, number changes etc.

Hope this helps

Regards

Ian 47

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Westernisation of WD 2-8-0

Yes, a further check through Rowledge's Book refers to the Western Region allocation overhauled at Swindon "generally being fitted" with GWR pattern top feed clacks which increased the overall height to 13' 2 3/4" which restricted their availability particularly on the Eastern Region where they were confined to the Great Central lines.

As far as fire iron tunnel situation is concerned I do not have access to sufficient pictures of Austerities to comment on this - If my memory serves me correctly I believe there is a book (Irwell Press??) dedicated to the Austerities which may have photographic evidence.

Regards

Ian 47

1 - 8 of 8 Posts