Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am building a large 1950-60s layout. Can anyone recomend some suitable deisel locos for pulling fast passenger trains?

Thanks.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Here goes.......
If on Western Region:
class 35 (Hymek) on cross country and secondary services.
classes 42/3 and 52 on express work
classes 45/6 on sw/ne services.

Eastern Region
classes 40 and 55 - later class 47

Midland region:
classes 40 45/6 47 and from 1967 class 50

This is not exhaustive but I hope it helps.

Regards

John

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
For the mid to late 50s don't forget to have a pacific or two on standby to take over when the diesel fails...

David

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE For resonably fast trains Class 37 can be used on all regions.

Thats what i wanted to hear.

I m not sure what regieon the layout is, its just going to be 'generic 1960-60s railway'

The reason we chose that era was so we could have some steamers and some diesels, as I am told they were both in use at that time. Also we can use a variety of light and flicky signals too. (or so im told)

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Class 31 A1A-A1A locos were also about, particularly on the Eastern Region. Quite a few are preserved. Hornby has a current model and there have been other versions of it in the past. I have seen these on passenger trains but I think they were only occasionally used on long-distance expresses.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
94 Posts
What about the Western and Warship classes? maybe the Class 20 too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hi hoarp

It entirely depends on what region, or part of the country, you want to base your layout.

Diesels were not so widespread class-wise as they were in the 80s and 90s.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A good all rounder would be an class 31 in green thay ran all over east anglia on goods , passanger and on many other duties. You can run them with late era steam ie britania 70000 , B17s b12s all sorts of stuff but it all depends on what area you want to do.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I forgot to add, if you go for the Southern you have the class 33, which was used on all types of services, and of course in the 60's frequntly ran cement trains to York and beyond double headed. Class 37 only appeared on the Southern lines after about 1985.

In the midlands don't forget classes 24 and 25.

Regards

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts