Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having purchased several Hornby Intercity grey/blue Mk3 coaches in 00 gauge - wheels at present fitted to these coaches are plastic axles with plastic/metal rimmed wheels, not ideal.
I note the Hornby R8297 wheels though an improvement are still quite flimsly and easily damaged, if the track not new or rough in parts. Hornby, I am made to believe have manufactured a new type of an all steel wheel R8218 12mm, as yet not made available to modellers.
Anyone bought top quality coach wheels? and willing to disclose the source!

·
Registered
186 Posts
If your track is rough you are best having deep flanged wheels also if your coaches suffer from derailments it could not just be the wheels have you tried weighting the coaches then checking the running and are the wheels deep flanged? If you dont want deep flanges but have rough trackwork its tough luck you either have to relay the track or live with deep flanges

·
Registered
141 Posts
Romford 12mm disc DoubleOO. Available from - just about anywhere but try Mainly Trains in Watchet, near Minehead, Somerset (www.mainlytrains.com).

·
Registered
303 Posts
DoubleOO

On their website, Hornby list the wheels you mention, R8218, so you should be able to order them direct. I have used their 8 spoked wagon wheels R8098 and they are OK.

Colombo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts