Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now the dark draws in, can get back to resuming my ViTrains DCC Sound and Detailing projects. Zimo chips and was going to be a couple of ex-Bachmann speakers but after the mega bass cube units sound rubbish so need to order a few more today to do justice to the Zimo chips...

V2051 37/4 The Scottish Hosteller Intercity Livery 37420 Kernow Ltd Edition
V2018 37/4 Royal Scotsman Maroon 37416

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers gritty - only cos I dont have much space ;-). Some pics of today's efforts. Tinny Bmann speaker removed and 28mm x 28mm bass reflex fitted c/w shrouds cut from credit card and painted matt black. Snug fit but works OK - though the only thing is the lighting cct in one direction has stopped working - v odd.

Also cut back the roof fan base plate along 2 sides so it can still be fitted onto the pins from the fan cowl to allow some of the sound out and up...

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Here are pics of the LEDs - I sourced from Bromsgrove Models but DCC Supplies also have them. To get access to the nose, I have cut the 4 yellow pins and eased the nose away - VT have only glued on the pins so with a fine blade it comes away nice and easy and still leaves enough pin to relocate later.

Next job is to create a red light board with a piece of copper clad. This is all new to me so taking it slow...I also see DCC Supplies has some nice copper clad strips which will make this job easier in future...can see a speaker/copper clad/LED light order going in soon as may as well upgrade these while I am doing the DCC Sound/decoder retrofits...

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
Have you run it yet with the zemo decoder fitted,If so how did you find it ran. I had a lot of trouble with a non sound Zemo decoder,Like the install on the 37s got some to do so will be interested in how you find the sound and running.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have Dave and have a total of six VT locos now with Zimo DCC Sound fitted and all good. The issue I have now is I think I have damaged some of the LEDs as had brain fade yesterday and forgot to read the DCC Concepts instructions ie need to fit 1K ohm resistor. I also connected to the lighting wires VT use for the bulbs which I think is wrong and need to connect direct to the Zimo decoder wires. Fingers crossed anyway will see how it goes. Also I realised that the LEDs have a +ve which is the long leg IIRC

The only thing I can also think is that VT dont make it easy which way to install the 8-pin decoder plu - it needs to go in so the decoder wires face/flow down the remaining long part of the pcb board...

Update on LED sourcing BTW - since Bromsgrove models are closing down - there are no 1.8mm LEDs left in White or Red so DCC Supplies is yr best bet IMO

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
QUOTE (reddo @ 30 Nov 2012, 07:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Update on LED sourcing BTW - since Bromsgrove models are closing down - there are no 1.8mm LEDs left in White or Red so DCC Supplies is yr best bet IMO

Hi Reddo,

I wouldnt bother with 1.8mm LED's but buy some SMD's in 805 or 1206 size which they are available in warm white & red puchase some 1k resistors & you'll have plenty of lights for a fraction of the cost with the ability to fit in smaller spaces if needs be.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50p-SMD-SMT-0805...=item519332a8f5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50p-1206-SMD-SMT...=item1e60176f3c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50p-1206-SMD-SMT...=item562a23d4d2

(Use the drop down boxes in the link below to select 1K resistors)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1K-TO-10K-CARBON...=item4ab59a9684

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats great Upnick - thanks. Do you have any idea/experience how to solder these to pcb or does one wire direct.

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi Reddo,

I use the SMD's on decoders wires & motor wind wire depending on the loco, always find the warm white look better ........ i havent soldered them to a PCB though this is not to say it cant be done of course by the time youve cut the PCB to size might as well just use them on wires ........... heres a link to one of Zmil's loco DCC installs showing SMD's used for replacment lighting if i find better links from him i'll post them he's used motor winding wire here as well as decoder wire, far better for fitting in the wiring if you use motor wind wire in tight situations.

These 603 SMD's are even smalller than the ones i left in the links of my last post.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=d3b6cdba2def...A2DEF7725%21111

Once you've soldered the wires a tiny drop of superglue on the soldered joins will help keep everything in place before final positioning.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks upnick - I clicked that link and signed into MS Skydrive but seems its been deleted or I dont have permission to view...any other way?

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi Reddo,

Zmil has done lots of installs but is reorganising them currently i believe no idea why the link wont work for you
go to the
Fleischmann 4000 DCC conversion plus lighting link here

http://mainlyfleischmann.blogspot.com.au/2...onversions.html

If that doesnt work let me know ........... on my way to work now will look in again tonight see how you've gone on

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All works - thanks Upnick - really appreciate yr help here as this really helps me minimise errors etc Will keep y'all posted with my endeavours...

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
No problems Reddo glad it's all working now ........... look forward to seeing progress if you need anything else just ask

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a brief update - I did blow 3 of my red LEDs
but at least I found the problem - theones I am using the longer leg is the anode not the positive so at leat I have identified the situation now. Have 2 LEDs glued in and just need to wire up now with a resistor....Have ordered about 17 more of these LEDs from DCC Supplie as they are best fit for the job but will be looking at those others for future use. Cheers

·
My name is Angie
733 Posts
Erm, pardon me for bringing bad news but anode is positive. cathode is negative. Usually, by which I mean always, the anode is the longer leg, unless of course someone has cut the longer leg to be shorter than the shorter leg, if you see what I mean.

See section 'Connecting and soldering'

Angie

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Angie - all in all you are correct...and see what I mean about my brain fade :)...anyway main thing is I have it sorted . Cheers

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Upnick / anyone - has anyone come across micro connectors that I could use between carriages to carry power - looking at fitting coach lighting and lights to my EWS Managers and Virgin Relief packs...

Thanks for any pointers...

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats great - thanks Dave. They look huge until you look at the dimensions! and painted black would be pretty inconspuous...

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
QUOTE (reddo @ 3 Dec 2012, 14:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thats great - thanks Dave. They look huge until you look at the dimensions! and painted black would be pretty inconspuous...

And they have a extra pin which I have found handy for running an extra pick up from the train on a tender drive that was not running as well as the rest

1 - 20 of 61 Posts