Model Railway Forum banner
181 - 200 of 428 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
I got loads more photos. Some 200 odd. I'll post some more up once I've get them sorted out. It was great being there and seeing the bridge for real. Only down side is I can now see all the errors I've made on my models.

·
Banned
135 Posts
QUOTE (Al @ 30 Jan 2010, 18:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I strated work on the Erpeler Lay tunnel entrance this morning. This is were I'd got after a couple of hours.

The basic structure is almost there, but still needs to be clad with dressed stone plasticard.

What is this structure made from?

Steve

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
QUOTE (Mallarddriver @ 6 Apr 2013, 17:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello Al,
brilliant work

Have you also been to the other end of the tunnel?

Where the tracks lead back to the mainline.

[/url]

Kind regards
Soeren

Nope. Ran out of time to see the other end, and after see your pics I really wish I had. That cutting looks amazing...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello Al,
what a pity that you missed the cutting jungle.
If you need some more photos please let me know.
I live only 3 miles away from Erpel.
I always wanted to build this bridge for this one

But if you know that is was more then one yard long you can imagine the dimensions.
Nowadays I model british railways in 7 mm scale.

Kind regards
Soeren

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Not managed to get to get much progress on the bridge recently due to a number of reasons, however, I have working n the rolling stock.

This is a Hummel Ammo Carrier mounted onto a two axle flat wagon. It's one vehicle from an artillery unit which will form a 20 wagon rake.

·
Administrator
10,004 Posts
It's good to know that the model is progressing one way or another.

David

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Soeren, which tower is that? East or West bank tower?

The bridge is on hold for now as I'm in the middle of a new house by which will provide it with a new home. In the interim I'm working on the rolling stock. The Hummell train isn't far off completion - 16 flats loaded with an artillery unit relocating from the Eastern front. Once it's done, there's a train on Panthers and Hanomags to join it.

·
Why is&#39;nt it easy &#33;&#33;
2,155 Posts
WOW ... fantastic looking bridge ... really well done

·
Longfunnelled&amp;tiresome
2,058 Posts
Breathtaking modelling, but also of a most interesting subject. I remember during the war how my mum and my (pretend) aunt anxiously read the papers for news of whether the allies (including my pretend uncle) had at last managed to cross the Rhein.
Later, in 1954 cycling past this (and many other ruined Rhein bridges) in my first visit to Germany I vividly recall seeing the stumps in mid stream.
What was very evident even then was the pace of post war West German re-construction compared with the slow motion repair of our bombed cities at the same time. There seemed to be huge infrastructural renewal - particularly of Rhein bridges.
Did Remagen eventually get re-instated?

LF&T

PS
Is it not astonishing how structurally all those forces are resolved into 4 steel stanchions of minimal cross section bearing onto those masonry piers? I am sure our civil engineers would have carried the masonry piers up for the arch and girder structures to be able to bear onto good and safe padstones directly. Vorsprung durch....

181 - 200 of 428 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.