Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Outstanding,
Sir I salut you

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I hit a bit of a problem with the bridge over the Christmas break. While working on the drawings for the two stonework towers it became clear I'd made a mistake on the bridge length. The model was 280mm too short....!

After considering all the options I desided if I don't correct the error I'd never be satisfied with it. So nothing else to do but strip down each side frame and rebuild them to the correct length. Both frames are now back to the stage they were in the last photo, and now I've a rail bender at my disposal I can crack on with the main beams on the central section.

I'm hoping to have this completed by the end of the weekend and will post up a few photo then.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Another update on the bridge.

One side frame has been remodelled to the correct length, and it's suprisingly ridged now that the two curved beams are on.
Planning to crack on with the other side next week, followed by the track deck. Then comes the delicate task of soldering all three parts together.

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Coming on reallly well Al
shedmad66 ** yes 1969 there was a film released.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
QUOTE (Al @ 16 Jan 2010, 19:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Then comes the delicate task of soldering all three parts together.

I bet that will give you a few headaches

It's looking really excellent and I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. Well done on progress so far.

Kind regards

Paul

·
Registered
45 Posts
QUOTE (Al @ 16 Jan 2010, 19:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Then comes the delicate task of soldering all three parts together.

And what fun that will be!

Out of passing interest on this front what sort of iron are you using on this work - I have built a footbridge in 4mm out of brass for New Hey but in the end only did the basic framework out of brass section, resorting to plastruct sections glued in cosmetically for the cross members. I was having all sorts of problems with heat transfer, which despite using several strategically placed heat sinks and use of my RSU was ending up with adjacent bits coming unsoldered. Part of the difficulty was once you get the box structure together (like you Al I built it in 3 sections) is keeping it all straight and square, particularly when you are also using a big lump of metal as a heat sink. As in all soldering jobs 3 hands (or preferavbly 4 ) woul be useful!

Its looking very impressive and I look forward to nseeing the completed model.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
QUOTE (Andy C @ 17 Jan 2010, 09:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And what fun that will be!

Out of passing interest on this front what sort of iron are you using on this work - I have built a footbridge in 4mm out of brass for New Hey but in the end only did the basic framework out of brass section, resorting to plastruct sections glued in cosmetically for the cross members. I was having all sorts of problems with heat transfer, which despite using several strategically placed heat sinks and use of my RSU was ending up with adjacent bits coming unsoldered. Part of the difficulty was once you get the box structure together (like you Al I built it in 3 sections) is keeping it all straight and square, particularly when you are also using a big lump of metal as a heat sink. As in all soldering jobs 3 hands (or preferavbly 4 ) woul be useful!

Its looking very impressive and I look forward to nseeing the completed model.

At the moment I'm using a 80w iron and that seems to be working ok at the moment. The fun will start when I solder the track deck onto the two side frames....

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I'm waiting with bated breath.....

Regards

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi Al,

Great base for the tunnel look forward to it clad it will bring things together more

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Wow!

21 - 40 of 428 Posts