Model Railway Forum banner
421 - 428 of 428 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #422 ·
We've been away for a week climbing mountains in the Lake District, so not much progress on The layout. However this morning while Julia was having a lay-in, I got a couple of hours to get the Wooden Armoured BR50 finished off.

The grey has been washed down and it's been given a heavy weathering.

One thing I'm still undecided about is the flak gun. Sometimes I look at it and think it looks cool. Other times I think it looks silly.... Can't make my mind up.

Al.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #423 ·
The forth BR50 all paints up and ready to roll.

I've done this one in a simple striped camouflaged scheme similar to that used on tanks towards the end of the war.

From the mid-war years onwards, German tanks were predominately dispatched from the factories in a sand/yellow colour and the crews applied the camouflage scheme once it arrived at the unit. This is why we see such a wide variation of German tank camouflage schemes. In the final year of the war paint pressures on tank production increased, and together with lack of paint supplies, tanks started leaving the factories in just red primer paint. Hence the reason the camp scheme became more simple and more red colour based.

Al.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #424 ·
The 3 car SVT137 got the weathering treatment this morning. It was meant to be a light weathering but has turned out more moderate weathering.
I'm not happy with the way the roof has turned out, particularly the exhaust soothing. When I've some spare time I'll go back to it and tone it down a bit more.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Great layout, well done.
I have just watched the TV documentary "Nazi mega structures" episode about the WWII German Railway system.

In the film the statement was made that diesel powered trains were not allowed to operate because the fuel was needed elsewhere, Germany's vast coal reserves were used as the only source of fuel for locomotives.

Have to assume the documentary is accurate.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #427 ·
As well as weathering locos, I'm also been working on the rolling stock. This is the latest work-in-progress.

This is a Schienenwolf, or rail wolf / rail ripper. A German rail vehicle built to destroy railway lines through the use of an immensely strong, hook-shaped armored plough.

It predominantly saw service on the Eastern Front during the retreat out of Russian and Poland as part of the 'scorched earth' policy.
The Schienenwolf tore up railway lines, bridges and signaling equipment, and denying the Russian Army the use of the infrastructure to supply their own troops.

It was used attached to the rear of a loco - in the case in the photos it's two BR57's. The hook was lowered into the 4foot and as the locos moved along the line, pulled the rails out of alignment and split the sleepers.

The model is made from chassis of a short wheel based wagon that's had one end cut off. The hook and all parts in white are made from plasticard. It'll get a cost of grey paint over the next few days and then I'll have to find a couple of locos to haul it.

421 - 428 of 428 Posts