Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supply of Kato track (as recommended by previous posts) is proving difficult and so long delayed that I may have to resort to Peco track on my projected N gauge layout. I am disabled and wheel-chair bound so therefore want my point motors surface mounted. Have any of the 'regulars' ever tried driving points from remotely mounted motors through some form of 'Bowden Cable' so that the motors can be taken to the edge of the base-board or hidden under convenient scenery? Suppliers of suitable cable or suggested alternatives appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (stirling @ 25 Sep 2008, 15:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Supply of Kato track (as recommended by previous posts) is proving difficult and so long delayed that I may have to resort to Peco track on my projected N gauge layout. I am disabled and wheel-chair bound so therefore want my point motors surface mounted. Have any of the 'regulars' ever tried driving points from remotely mounted motors through some form of 'Bowden Cable' so that the motors can be taken to the edge of the base-board or hidden under convenient scenery? Suppliers of suitable cable or suggested alternatives appreciated.

Hi Stirling welcome to the forum,

Having read your postings on here i have some ideas for you possibly,

Decoder installation for your 14XX Digitrains can provide this service for you give them a ring 01526 328633 i'm sure Chris there can sort it out for you, their charge for installation is £12.50 plus the decoder as TCS M1 should be suitable priced at £16.50 they will be fine this plus postage of course.

Here is digitrains site ............. http://www.digitrains.co.uk/

Another option to the 14XX is Dapol's 45XX a beautiful well detailed smooth runner.

Have you contacted MG Sharp for Kato points as they are a better option for you of course, Bowden cables will need to be hidden in some way and still have free movement of course, on contacting MG Sharp ask for Ken there he isnt always there but can give you options in points and availibility of course.

As for using the site here ask for any help anytime thats what we are all here for.

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
Tortoise do a remote cable for their product which allows for the point motor to be located up to 18" away from the turnout it is driving.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I buy all my Kato Unitrack from an Ebay shop called Plaza Japan. His prices are very good, the stock is brand new in packet. Usually takes 6 days to get here from Japan, faster than some UK shops. Looks like he's a little short of points at the moment, but here's a link to his shop. http://tinyurl.com/3htnje
I've also found a new seller of Unitrack on Ebay in the UK, fastrack99. Haven't tried him yet, but his shop has 100% positive feedback.
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZfastrack99

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
There are a couple of 'Wire in tube' systems that can be used to connect a pointmotor to a point over a distance.
1. 'Mercontrol' available from GEM at Bedford: www.gemmodelrailways.co.uk - this is a springy steel wire in a copper tube; the latter is easily fitted to the baseboard by small brass screws to which it is soldered or by stapling or similar. There is an associated range of cranks, 'Omega' loops etc and also a model 'lever frame' if you want to operate points by hand. Has been available for many years.
2. 'Slippery Sid' by ModelOils at 12, Marina Drive, WOLVERTON, Bucks. (No phone or website details given.) Plastic outer tube with wire inside. Not used it myself so my knowledge is limited.

It is also possible to use the rods and cranks used by aero and boat modellers for linking moving parts to radio-control servo mechanisms, particularly if you can place them under the baseboard, where their large size does not matter. The wire in tube systems can be surface mounted but disguised by ballast or other applied material, buildings etc.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
I have been looking at ways of controling points, and the link to Mercontrol is just what I was after. Thanks John.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Rowan @ 29 Sep 2008, 17:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have been looking at ways of controling points, and the link to Mercontrol is just what I was after. Thanks John.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, I am going to try Mercontrol and have sent for a sample pack of tubing and accesories. Regards Stirling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts