Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
There all good points. The older 3 pole pancake motors don't stackup very well but the 5 pole does in both of Britannia's and a Castle with the boiler version. I used Lenz silver series decoders in all three and the perform as well as a Mashima or Sagami equipped model. The much older Xo4 isn';t a good choice as it's current draw can be quite high and can exceeed the stall current of most HO sized decoders. Bowser in the USofA make a DCC compatible motor similar to an Xo4 that may use similar brushes. This motor is based on a Pittman DC61 and may be a size larger than An X04 but could be a suitable replacement for an 04.
Check out www.bowser-trains.com for more information.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 29 Aug 2006, 03:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The problem with the 3 pole Ringfield is lack of torque and controlability. I've never bothered with the 5 pole version as I'd given up on tender drives by then. Another point is I personally don't like the combination of traction tyres and DCC.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Neil, was your Brit fitted with a DCC socket? Both of mine were so fitted. I removed the cap and lightened the brush springs on both units. The Castle was treated the same way although is performance isn't quite as good as the Brit's but then it's also done a lot less running as I have no WR stock to run behind it. On the Brits I shortened the draw bar by moving the tender pin back a diameter and a half. I remounted the pin on a piece of 40thou plasticard with PCB plate glued on top. I had to recess the plasticard slightly to maintain the pin at the same height. It got the tender much closer to the loco so the fireman didn't need a compass and a cut lunch to find it.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 2 Sep 2006, 12:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was going to replace the Bachmann decoder I put in the Britannia with a Lenz silver like you recommended Ozzie. I just haven't got round to buying them yet. I am hoping this will sort it out as it's a good loco and I don't want to retire it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.