Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I have just recently bought the Right Track 3 DVD where Tony Wright goes into this issue. He uses a fiberglass brush - and quite a wide one at that. He brushes off the old number and uses either whole number decals or individual number decals with a wetting agent.

Honestly I think that his work is quite messy. It looks a bit bad, even when weathered.

I have heard recently that a bit of Meths on a cotton bud will remove the decals too without scraping off the underlying paint.

If you use a fiberglass brush, at least use a fine one.

The decals you can get from Fox transfers and Nameplates or HMRS Transfers or Modelmasters Model Railway Decals (email: [email protected])

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've got as far as taking off the numbers on a couple of duplicate coaches i have using a fibre brush and it does leave a shiny patch. Perhaps some of the decal manufacturers could consider making a patch with a number on in various colours. I don't know the intricacies of decal manufacture but would've thought it possible. However the differing colours may used by different makers might be a problem. I have used the old blanking patches and none were an exact match for anything.

·
Registered
763 Posts
This may be a much repeated question but why can't hornby or bachmann or whoever make some coaches available with minimal numbering on and include a set of transfers to complete it with different regional variations. That way there would be no more complaining that there are a lack of western coaches in a certain livery or midland etc. Hornby did it in the past on the old mk3's and quite a few loco's as well. The coaches as i remember had 00 on the side and presumably the rest of the number fitted around it (anyone got one with the transfers?).

·
Registered
763 Posts
Just thought of nother way which works with some. Masking tape, It worked on a couple of older lima loco's i have, but that said they were starting to come away anyway , just quicker and neater.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts