Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (andysounduk @ 30 Dec 2006, 15:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>does anyone know hwere i can get replacement motors for a hornby flying scotsman (not tender driven)?

Try East Kent Models - they are in Whitstable, Kent - 01227 770777.

·
Registered
487 Posts
In reading andysounduk entry on Scalespeed and my requiring a repair or replacement motor for my Wrenn Brighton Belle - I contacted Scalespeed by E-mail.
Possibly Scalespeed are most busy at the moment, certainly my E-mail is still unanwered.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an A4 Mallard (Hornby) that is having problems. After I installed the DCC chip (which wasn't plug and play by the way, I had to snip the non-essential wires on the harness - all but red, black, grey and orange, due to a short) the engine doesn't "bite" into the gears. There doesn't seem to be any way to tighten the motor against the plate that holds it to the gears. I tried using a wire tie to tighten everything together, which worked for a little while (maybe 20 minutes), but after it hit the 3% grade a few times, it gave out and started to rev like a car with the clutch pressed down.

Any suggestions? I am in US, so service is not really an option...

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (flyingscotsman @ 26 Jan 2007, 05:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I tried using a wire tie to tighten everything together, which worked for a little while (maybe 20 minutes), but after it hit the 3% grade a few times, it gave out and started to rev like a car with the clutch pressed down.

Oh Dear,..Sorry to sound like a harbinger of doom, now,the gears may just have come out of mesh,but [and this is a worst-case scenario],it sounds as though it has stripped the gears...,an occurence not entirely unknown with the Hornby Chinese chassis..
,remove the small plate covering the worm and the rear motor retaining bracket and lift out the motor [it will invariably have a blob of black mastic sticky stuff underneath,- between the motor and the chassis block]so you can inspect the damage..
If you're lucky just the two-stage gear will be affected,but more likely the brass worm on the motor will be a concave shape where the centre has stripped off..
,I've encountered a few chassis suffering from this..
If this is the case then both the motor,part no.X4026,and the gearset,part no.X8849 will have to be replaced..

See service sheet A4 service sheet

If it's still in warranty,an email to Hornby should yield results,-if you can't return it to the point of sale,that is.

I hope this is of some assistance...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the advice - fortunately, I have found the solution.

After removing the shell for what seemed like the 100th time, I was staring at the chassis for a few minutes, trying to decide my next move...then - it almost hit me in the face - there was a small screw that I had missed before - that was noticeably loose. Well, how about that - it actually was the screw that held down the mount plate on one side of the motor. I tightened that screw up nicely and the problem was gone! Such silliness - chalk it up to being an amateur...I'm getting better though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts