Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those looking for replacements for damaged Triang pantographs the following link looks useful:-

http://www.msl-hobbies.com/page12.html

A very rare Triang model has entered my workshop and it is missing the pantographs. I am still undecided whether it is worthwhile renovating it and may or may not go ahead with a pantograph purchase.

If I do I'll let you know how I get on.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
At that price it could be cheaper to buy a tatty one with pantos on!

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it?

I'm not so sure. Generally tatty locos have tatty broken pantos.

If you do spot one going cheap at under £25 with good pantos then I'm a buyer!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 27 Feb 2007, 16:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is it?

I'm not so sure. Generally tatty locos have tatty broken pantos.

If you do spot one going cheap at under £25 with good pantos then I'm a buyer!

Happy modelling
Gary

I'll keep my eyes open!

Regards

John

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 27 Feb 2007, 16:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm not so sure. Generally tatty locos have tatty broken pantos.

I've always found that that is the case....,now,-if you fitted these 'pattern parts',the loco would certainly look a lot better,and probably more 'saleable',-but,if you were selling one, I doubt that it would it fetch the money that an all original one would with the collectors,-to whom originality is all-important..still,they look the part.....

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Original parts or replica...

...now that is a topic deserving of its own thread.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wrong assembly unfortunately. The example priced up is the Class 86 panto with the modern single arm and not the older Triang diamond frame panto. At that price I would have purchased every example and resold them in the UK had they been the Triang version!

There are stories of Trix panto's being used as these can be found cheap. Does anybody have any info on this?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 28 Feb 2007, 08:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wrong assembly unfortunately. The example priced up is the Class 86 panto with the modern single arm and not the older Triang diamond frame panto. At that price I would have purchased every example and resold them in the UK had they been the Triang version!

There are stories of Trix panto's being used as these can be found cheap. Does anybody have any info on this?

Happy modelling
Gary

Are we talking about the EM2 here ?

Last year we supplied a couple of Fleischmann diamond frame pantos from one of their earlier design OHE locos to a customer who had a fleet of EM2's. They were not an exact match but as he runs his fleet, powered by the OHLE they did the job.

Could be a solution if you want to "run it rather than look at it".

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm talking green Transcontinental double ended diesel which does have the same pantos as an EM2. I do want it to look right and if the Trix/Fleischmann equivalent is not a pattern match then I would not be interested.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 28 Feb 2007, 08:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm talking green Transcontinental double ended diesel which does have the same pantos as an EM2. I do want it to look right and if the Trix/Fleischmann equivalent is not a pattern match then I would not be interested.

Happy modelling
Gary

I'll have a look to see if we have any in stock - if we have I could send them to you on a SOR basis.

BTW - I used to have one of those (a loooooong time ago !)

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 28 Feb 2007, 14:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>BTW - I used to have one of those (a loooooong time ago !)

You remember that far back?

Regards

John

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Another loco with a pantograph was the Triang 'Steeple Cab' 0-4-0 loco. I've seen these turn up at swap-meets etc more than the EM2 or Transcontinental locos. Another potential source?
Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Steeple cabs with good pantos are normally an absolute fortune as if the panto is good the rest of the loco is good and you would need two but yes they would make excellent panto donors! Is it really possible to pick up 2 for under £30?

And collectors of steeples would be overcome with joy and emotion as thats two more that are consigned to the great scrapheap in the sky making those that remain even more valuable!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Must admit I hadn't really noticed the prices for steeple cab locos. I'll look a bit more closely in future. Now is that one I used to have still lurking in a box at my sister's house....?!

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
44 Posts
I still stock the pantos! Part number X.386 (EM2 and Transcontinetal pantograph) and part number X.176 Steeple cab pantograph.

I'm not known as the TheTriangman in the model trade for nothing.

New Originals are £35

Quality Replica's are £27.50 each

All prices exclude p&p as I do export worldwide.

Whilst I'm here has anyone go a switch for a steeple cab, I have a very rare steeple cab in a perfect box, in need of a replacement switch. It is the Maroon one which has BR roundels instead of the usual TR decals. The BR liveried Maroon Steeple cab was only done for six months and is very hard to find, so I am trying to get it working again. I could scrap a steeple cab that came in but I have a buyer for it so I don't want to pinch the switch from that one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have just noticed this much earlier thread.......

I also needed pants for two EM2s that I was restoring : I ended up buying Marklin pants - very, very cheap [about £5 or £6 each I remember] and good quality. Far more realistic too and with care could be made to work [I didn't bother though].

Thought this may be of interest to someone.....!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
There have been quite a few Triang pantographs on ebay of late, both the class 81 and the diamond variety. Not cheap but if its what you require then go for it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts