Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a Triang Deltic, from an old set, which won't work due to the fact the working pantograph is broken and I have no idea how to fix it.
I will try uploading some pictures soon.
Regards,
Ben

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
It's not actually a Deltic but a fairly rare locomotive anyway.

There is a guy that makes spare parts for these but I cannot remember who (he may even be a forum member) - try a Google search.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
wasn't aware Tri-ang made a deltic?

If both have a similar outline to the one in the piccy, then they come from Tri-ang's 'Transcontinetal' range.......however, to be fair, the Deltic shape is a pretyy common one, although the shape pre-dates Deltic's existance by some 20 years or more.....first encountered on, I believe, EMC's [later, EMD] carbody diesels...the most famous being the F series...[FT, F3, F7, F9...then the 6 wheel trucked E series]

Triang's ''double ended' locos of this shape were, I believe, aimed at the Australian market.....both diesel and electric versions.

[bear in mind, Detic has 6 wheel trucks]

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (poliss @ 26 May 2008, 08:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's the R257 Victorian Railways Australia Class. First produced in 1959. Here's a webpage about it. http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/OO/doubleohd.html Close up of Tri-ang pantograph here. http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/OO/aohspant.html There should be a switch or screw to change power pickup from pantograph to track.
Can't find any record of a Tri-ang Deltic. Maybe a Lima one?

***Ben try modelspares - they may be able to help.

Whatever you do be aware this loco is a sought after collectors item and in B+ to A condition has sold in the recent past for more than 200 GBP. If you can find original pantographs repair it and keep the loco in good condition rather than run it much it'll hold value OK... If you have the whole set and box then you will have a valuable item that a collector will pay very well for.

if you search google with the horby R257 number you'll see some for sale at the moment

Richard

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 26 May 2008, 05:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Ben try modelspares - they may be able to help.

Whatever you do be aware this loco is a sought after collectors item and in B+ to A condition has sold in the recent past for more than 200 GBP. If you can find original pantographs repair it and keep the loco in good condition rather than run it much it'll hold value OK... If you have the whole set and box then you will have a valuable item that a collector will pay very well for.

if you search google with the horby R257 number you'll see some for sale at the moment

Richard

Hi
How much do you think the box set would go for?
I'll try posting some pictures later today.

Regards,
Ben

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Hi Ben

I really don't know - as I said, do some research by googling using the triang number for the set(s) if you have them and the loco number - this will give you some examples as to what may be reasonable to expect.

Prices go up and down depending on time of year, whether they have come up for sale recently or not and whether there is a hungry collector looking for one at the same moment you want to sell!

at least if you do the research you have a good idea what is fair...

Richard

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've no idea whatsoever what sort of track it is but I'll try getting some clearer pictures.
I do know that the set was bought in 1962.
Ben

·
Registered
122 Posts
There was a Gentleman known as Triangman who no doubt would have been able to help you, but from information received not so long back, he has sadly passed away.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Definitely Triang Series 3 track - it's what I started with back in the sixties too! Nothing left of that original layout now, but what I have now is the result of more or less continuous development over all the intervening years.

I'm not sure about your Triang Deltic though - Triang never produced a Deltic. If it looks something like your electric in the first pic, then it's probably the Transcontinental diesel, based firmly on the Victorian Railways B class.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi
It is like the other one. I thought it was a Deltic because someone told me that it was, but perhaps not.
Thanks a lot
Ben

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
anyone can be forgiven for a deltic mistake.......

especially as there may be a faint similarity [if painted green] with what became known as the ''Baby Deltics''?

I have seen, in the dim 'n distant past, a Triang double-ended transcontinental diesel 'passed off' as a 'Baby Deltic'....sort of thing one did back in the '60's.

[for ben100...the baby deltic had a similar-looking carbody, but ran on 4 wheel trucks [bo-bo].....]

As I recall, these tri-ang locos had knurled wheel sets under the motor bogie...my old red Dock Authority shunter had the same power pogie..[only one]......great for grinding railheads......spin the wheels, and you turn Code 100 rail into code 90!

and they always smelt nicely of 'hot oil?'

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 27 May 2008, 11:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As I recall, these tri-ang locos had knurled wheel sets under the motor bogie...my old red Dock Authority shunter had the same power pogie..[only one]......great for grinding railheads......spin the wheels, and you turn Code 100 rail into code 90!

& for collecting dirt & making a funny "wuring" sound !

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I used to use my Triang Metro-Cammell DMU motor coach with its knurled wheels as a track cleaner. The trick was to overload it slightly then send it round the track with wheels spinning! Used to work a treat!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts