Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Replica Railways B! which altho' 18 years old has not had much wear. However the wheels and linkage are worn out. I need either new ones or advice on where to get the parts. The loco is driven from the rear wheels and the wheels turn independantly causing the motion to lock up. The connecting pins are very worn and are loose and fly off. I did have the engine running with the wheels araldited onto the plastic spacers but not for long as the pins drop out. I do not want to scrap it but it may be the only answer. Anyone out there with some bits?

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (patrick draper @ 3 Nov 2008, 23:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a Replica Railways B! which altho' 18 years old has not had much wear. However the wheels and linkage are worn out. I need either new ones or advice on where to get the parts. The loco is driven from the rear wheels and the wheels turn independantly causing the motion to lock up. The connecting pins are very worn and are loose and fly off. I did have the engine running with the wheels araldited onto the plastic spacers but not for long as the pins drop out. I do not want to scrap it but it may be the only answer. Anyone out there with some bits?

Basically the chassis has 'had it'!-throw it in the bin!- it is beyond economical repair [no parts available],-you may be lucky and find a stockist that still has a Bachmann replacement chassis,but in all honesty I doubt if anyone still has..
Your best bet is to put a Comet or Dave Bradwell kit chassis under it,or if you're unwilling to go this route,flog it off on eBay for spares so that someone else can do the same thing [there are plenty of people working in EM or P4 that are after such loco bodies]..
I'm sorry if this sounds a bit 'negative' but it is really the only pragmatic option...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
If it is a particularly valued number / livery for you, you could buy a later Bachmann issue and swap bodies and tenders, then do as DS239 suggests with the remainder.

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
QUOTE (DS239 @ 4 Nov 2008, 00:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Basically the chassis has 'had it'!-throw it in the bin!- it is beyond economical repair [no parts available],-you may be lucky and find a stockist that still has a Bachmann replacement chassis,but in all honesty I doubt if anyone still has..
The Replica chassis was definitely a high wear rate item, and the Bachmann split chassis replacement is a lot better and a direct fit. The replacement chassis hasn't been listed as available for some time and the price was always rather high compared to buying a complete loco. Fish around the box shifters for a good deal, http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=21236
QUOTE (DS239 @ 4 Nov 2008, 00:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>..there are plenty of people working in EM or P4 that are after such loco bodies..
And even in OO - I am one of them - with so few LNER types available RTR and the boiler and cab design of the B1 being very similar to several other common classes, you will have no trouble selling it. Don't just bin the old chassis either, the cylinder mouldings and other small parts are very useful indeed. (Considering how long ago this body was tooled up, it still looks remarkably good alongside recent introductions.)

There is of course the final consideration that Bachmann are - slowly - working through their split chassis range to replace them with current standard chassis. I have completely stopped purchasing the split chassis types: they may be better than the Replica design, but are not as good as the current standard chassis; so that's another option if you are feeling patient.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (34C @ 4 Nov 2008, 09:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Replica chassis was definitely a high wear rate item, and the Bachmann split chassis replacement is a lot better and a direct fit. The replacement chassis hasn't been listed as available for some time and the price was always rather high compared to buying a complete loco. Fish around the box shifters for a good deal, http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=21236

And even in OO - I am one of them - with so few LNER types available RTR and the boiler and cab design of the B1 being very similar to several other common classes, you will have no trouble selling it. Don't just bin the old chassis either, the cylinder mouldings and other small parts are very useful indeed. (Considering how long ago this body was tooled up, it still looks remarkably good alongside recent introductions.)

There is of course the final consideration that Bachmann are - slowly - working through their split chassis range to replace them with current standard chassis. I have completely stopped purchasing the split chassis types: they may be better than the Replica design, but are not as good as the current standard chassis; so that's another option if you are feeling patient.

Thanks for the replies. Ivalue your comments.
Patrick Draper

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I had three Replica B1s two black and one green, the latter I renumbered 61292 and fitted a tablet catcher a la 1948 locomotive trials. The other two became Strang Steel and Murray of Elibank courtesy Jackson-Evans nameplates.

The original chassis were US from the start as they kept shedding traction tyres and I was glad when I could rechassis them with the Bachmann product, albeit the split chassis variety.

They have all given good service, firstly for 15 years on my large loft layout down south and are still in use on my smaller layout here in Scotland.

It is often possible to pick up a Bachmann chassis or like on ebay.

I still have a partly stripped Replica chassis but would not foist it on anybody.

I would say - don't throw it away but try and pick up a Bachmann chassis for your B1

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Saint Johnstoun @ 4 Nov 2008, 23:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had three Replica B1s two black and one green, the latter I renumbered 61292 and fitted a tablet catcher a la 1948 locomotive trials. The other two became Strang Steel and Murray of Elibank courtesy Jackson-Evans nameplates.

The original chassis were US from the start as they kept shedding traction tyres and I was glad when I could rechassis them with the Bachmann product, albeit the split chassis variety.

They have all given good service, firstly for 15 years on my large loft layout down south and are still in use on my smaller layout here in Scotland.

It is often possible to pick up a Bachmann chassis or like on ebay.

I still have a partly stripped Replica chassis but would not foist it on anybody.

I would say - don't throw it away but try and pick up a Bachmann chassis for your B1

Thanks for that, I really only want wheels and coupling rods and pins. Altho' old it has not been used for around 18 years. I will try and get the Bachmann chasis. My B1 never ran very well but I had no problems with the traction tyres altho I have replaced them with a better brand.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (patrick draper @ 3 Nov 2008, 23:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a Replica Railways B! which altho' 18 years old has not had much wear. However the wheels and linkage are worn out. I need either new ones or advice on where to get the parts. The loco is driven from the rear wheels and the wheels turn independantly causing the motion to lock up. The connecting pins are very worn and are loose and fly off. I did have the engine running with the wheels araldited onto the plastic spacers but not for long as the pins drop out. I do not want to scrap it but it may be the only answer. Anyone out there with some bits?
Since posting my message I thank everyone for their response, I found out Replica Railways address and telephone number , rang them. told them what I wanted, paid byc/card and the parts arrived today (within 24 hours) complete with linkages. Their address and phone number are below. It's a pity that the rest of the service sector was not as efficient. I also got some good advice on the phone to them and also they sent 2 of each ( with compilments) for £5.75 including postage. A REALLY GOOD SERVICE.

Replica Railways

Unit 46 Bss House Cheney Manor Industrial Estate, Swindon, Wiltshire SN2 2PJ
p: 01793642594 f: 01793651196

1 - 10 of 10 Posts