Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 19 Feb 2009, 11:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>does anyone know where you can get the carbon rods for resistance soldering?
Last time I looked, 'Eileens Emporium' still stocked them, but that was a while ago.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Hi Peter

yes, they are just carbon arc welding rods - You should be ale to pick them up easy enough for very little cost at a proper hardware store or welding supplies! Perhaps a workshop will sell you just one or two rather than having to buy a whole box which is several lifetimes supply!

Full rods are easily cut and sharpened with a pencil sharpener! I just googled and there are several suppliers not too far from you.

Richard

QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 19 Feb 2009, 19:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>does anyone know where you can get the carbon rods for resistance soldering?

i know in the olden days you could buy them by the box at cinema supplies.

are they the same ones used in carbon arc welding?
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/range/de...ing-consumables

Peter

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Huh?

Why would you want different solder for any modelling use?.... a resistance soldering unit works perfectly with normal solder and flux... There are those who want to use paste but its a mistake - just tinning and refluxing before using the RSU is the answer. (the solder paste has a use by date and is very exxy, so most is wasted)

Richard

QUOTE (Martin71 @ 19 Feb 2009, 20:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Anyone know where you can get a good quality resistive solder?

Thanks

martin

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
poor grammer

Let me try again, does anyone know where I can get a good "resistive soldering unit" in Aus for soldering windows onto coaches?

m

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** There is only one available ex AU and its a locally assembled version of the best of the UK ones.. but exxy. You can borrow mine if you really want to use one - no need to spend so much.

Usually by habit I just use a conventional Iron - I can show U how I do it if U like.

Actually... In reality, even though I have the RSU I keep forgetting to use it most of the time - for such fine bits, control and time is important with the RSU as you can easily overcook them...

Richard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts