Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anybody can help, i have the harry potter set with the light. i have just bought some resistors ( 1kohms ), after getting them i found out that they have a wattage of 25 watts. or would i need a smaller wattage resistor. my question is can these be used with the castle loco with the light. as it would be hard wired. either to the light board or bye pass the board. thanks for any help

john

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (john g @ 3 May 2008, 23:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i was wondering if anybody can help, i have the harry potter set with the light. i have just bought some resistors ( 1kohms ), after getting them i found out that they have a wattage of 25 watts. or would i need a smaller wattage resistor. my question is can these be used with the castle loco with the light. as it would be hard wired. either to the light board or bye pass the board. thanks for any help
john

*** Hello John
I think that they will actually be 1k ohm (1,000 ohms) 0.25 watts, not 25 watts (a 25 watt resistor is about the size of an N scale class 66
. If they are very small they will be metal film resistors, which are ideal. In general terms as long as its big enough power-handling wise (and 1/4 or 0.25 watt ones definately are) then they will be fine providing the resistance is OK.

So..... They will work well for what you want to do - which is, I presume, connect a white LED as a light. (but...If its a small incadescent bulb the wattage will still be OK but the resistance will need to be much smaller)

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi richard,

you're wright i had a very close look at the recipt again and it is .25 watt, thank you for your swift answer, bye the way off topic i have a relation that lives about 30k form your work. anyways thanks again, to-morrow a bit of soldering to be done. as long as i don't mess it up
lol

john

1 - 3 of 3 Posts