Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have been looking round this forum, and there are some great resouces burried deep within the posts made - however is there a central resource list for modelling supplies? I know you can google, but sometimes you need to know the name of a supplier or product to be able to search easily... therefore is there a central list for supplies?

for example i know that Metcalfe do model buildings in Card - but who if any one does plastic, or for really fine detail brass - i have seen one brass signal box kit with a resin base - cant remember where or by whom... i know i should have book marked it, but it would be good to be able to share links to good sources with the forum.

If i have mist an obvious post called Links to Resources - i am terribly sorry (and thick!)

GreenBoy

·
Administrator
9,852 Posts
Have you tried the "Link" menu item. It's just below the advertising banner and is the third entry from the left in that group.

If you come across a link that's not there, you could submit it for inclusion.

I know what you mean about finding something once and then not being able to relocate it - frustrating!

David

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do i feel stooopid or wot!

To be honest - and this is the embarrasing part - i have used the search function but somehow hadnt noticed the other menu items... i need a new brain!

Thanks you for pointing this out for me

GreenBoy

·
Administrator
9,852 Posts
QUOTE i have seen one brass signal box kit with a resin base
It was probably this one Modelex - Churchward models

Another good place to search for buildings and kits is Model Shops Directory - Buildings And Lineside kits page

Now I must remember that Modelex do brass frets for architectural items like windows.
Repeat 100 times

David

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I was asking for suggestions on SlotForum.com, our sister site and one of the ideas was a Wiki that would enable all sorts of resources to be indexed and cross-referenced. We will implement it for SlotForum and Model Rail Forum in the near future. The solution I have found is not free, but as soon as our software goes through the next upgrade, I'll install it.

·
Administrator
9,852 Posts
QUOTE Wiki that would enable all sorts of resources to be indexed and cross-referenced

Sounds good. I look forward to it.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 28 Feb 2009, 07:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was asking for suggestions on SlotForum.com, our sister site and one of the ideas was a Wiki that would enable all sorts of resources to be indexed and cross-referenced. We will implement it for SlotForum and Model Rail Forum in the near future. The solution I have found is not free, but as soon as our software goes through the next upgrade, I'll install it.
What's a wiki?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent Doug

the integration of a wiki will allow a whole raft of possibilities - reviews and articles that allows all site members to update etc.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 28 Feb 2009, 08:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For an example, see wikipedia.org.

The software is free, but the integration into our forum software costs a little - enabling members to contribute to the wiki once logged into the forum.
I was aware of wikipedia, so does it just mean that we can all go in and update entries?

I can see some problems with that where there are conflicting opinions.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
many resources are listed on other major sites, like the EM society, or Scalefour, etc.......and many small traders actually utilise sites like

http://www.scalefour.org/map.htm

as a host site.

for example, the LNWR etched signal box is produced by London Road Models......

http://www.scalefour.org/london%20road/

a wiki would be a good idea....trawling the net is even worse than trawling through one's back issues, in my view...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts