Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an internet resource to find out what carriages/wagons a particular class and age of loco pulled? I am very much a beginner, and don't really know anything regards this. I have kind of decided to make the first layout I do a BR late crest era layout, so when looking at locos, I want to know what carriages to pair with them.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Graeme,

I don't know of any specefic internet resource for locomotive and carriage formations but I feel that if you want specefic information there are a fair number of us on the forum who would be able to assist, and would be only to happy to do so. After all I suspect between us we have several thousand books.

Regards

John

·
Registered
51 Posts
Graeme,
If you are intending to model the late crest steam era then you can't go far wrong with BR mark 1 coaches in Maroon livery.
The change from early emblem to late crest started in 1956, so, you could quite easily include some carmine and cream stock too, as not everything was repainted straight away. Several books I have with colour prints include pictures of mixed rakes.
If your period extends to the mid 60's then Western region painted some of their Mk1s in Brown and cream. Ditto with the Southern region where they repainted some into green livery.
You do not say what area of the country you are modelling, a lot of pre-nationisation stock would still be around albeit in BR liveries.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Frank

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your replies.

Basically, I want to do a slight mix of steam and early diesel locos from the era. What I don't want to do really is to pair a loco that generally pulled freight with passenger coaches and vice versa. My knowledge about this is zero, so was wondering if there was a referencable resource without bugging you guys all the time.

I'm doing this period, as I will use N gauge and it seems to give the biggest scope in currently available resources, both for rolling stock and moddling items. Farish notes the period as being 1957-66, so there is some scope in that period. In terms of location, I hadn't really thought about it. I guess I would do the North West, as that's where I have called home now for 8 years. Other than that aroung the Northampton area as that's where I was born and bred.

In terms of loco's, I have just ordered a Dapol M7 lined in BR late crest from Hattons for £28, good value IMO. Not really knowing alot, I guess this would have pulled passenger coaches?

The other loco's I like, but are as yet unreleased are things like 'The Evening Star' and others that are yet to be released, but again, I have no idea about what they pulled.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Graeme,

I don't know if this is any help at all, but on the hornby catalogues, they generally list the product numbers for suitable rolling stock that goes with a particular engine for that period. It may not be specific enough, or a bit too general for you, but if you have no information, then it may be a good starting point.

I would otherwise have pretty much no idea of what carriages should go with what locos etc otherwise.

/Pat

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Graeme T @ 2 May 2007, 14:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In terms of loco's, I have just ordered a Dapol M7 lined in BR late crest from Hattons for £28, good value IMO. Not really knowing alot, I guess this would have pulled passenger coaches?

Graeme, the M7s were originally built by the London and South Western Railway for suburban passenger working, they spent their whole lives working in the south of England. In the livery you have ordered they would have been found on empty stock workings at terminal stations, local branch work and local goods/trip workings. I hope this is of some help.

Regards

John

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 3 May 2007, 13:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Graeme, the M7s were originally built by the London and South Western Railway for suburban passenger working, they spent their whole lives working in the south of England. In the livery you have ordered they would have been found on empty stock workings at terminal stations, local branch work and local goods/trip workings. I hope this is of some help.

Regards

John

Ooops- forgot to add most Southern region coaching stock in this period was green, with maroon on inter regional workings. Interestingly enough the southern were the only region to have their own dedicated fleet of mk 2s painted in the regional colours.

Regards

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts