Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm still new at this. so please bare with me, I would like some advice. I intend to fit Directional lighting (no cab lights) to a class 37 loco, something I've never tried before, I think I have the wiring sorted to/from the decoder, (I'm using DCC) My question is do I need to fit a resistor to each LED or can I use one resistor for each set of lights (making four resistors in total) or does anyone know a different or better way of doing this, I am not electrically minded so anything I need would have to be bought and simple to install/solder.
I know of a company called Illuminated Models who make these type of things, but having spoken to a friend of mine who bought one, he suggested fitting my own LED's as their version sits too low and to make fit I would have to cut a large section out of the chassis to make room, also they do not have a template I could use to mark out where to drill, making that process a bit hit and miss.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Chief cook & bottle washer
2,919 Posts
For led's, one resistor for each led. I space is a problem you can use smd's to save a lot of space. What is the decoder you have?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (hoonsou @ 27 Feb 2021, 23:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For led's, one resistor for each led. I space is a problem you can use smd's to save a lot of space. What is the decoder you have?

I'm using a variety of decoders, for some reason that I haven't been able to work out, different motors seem to perform better with different decoders.
I'm using mainly Zimo, Laisdcc, and Hornby plus the odd Lenz 8pin.
As you say space is a premium so intend using a Laisdcc 1K Ohm 1/8 SMD resistor board with it.

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
QUOTE (Chris Smith @ 1 Mar 2021, 12:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm using a variety of decoders, for some reason that I haven't been able to work out, different motors seem to perform better with different decoders...
Just as mechanisms vary in performance, so do decoder designs. I have been able to make comparisons due to fitting and then setting up various decoders on various mechanisms, on behalf of friends.

Take a mechanism that's still graunchy after all the running in, lubrication and adjustment possible, and has a motor that's low on starting torque and current hungry - go directly to Zimo for the CV accessible adjustments to cudgel it into behaving reasonably well. (I'd go for a better mechanism if possible.)

If a mechanism is a good smooth running low current draw unit, then practically any decoder will produce a decent running result, though I have seen some that degrade performance at dead slow, when compared to the smoothness the mechanism alone could deliver on 'vanilla DC' with no feedback. On these my choice is a Lenz Standard to save the couple of quid over a Zimo. (All subject to what is in stock. My purchases have run 50:50 Lenz and Zimo these past few years.)

Other observed quirks in decoder designs: a non-linear 'bump' mid way through the speed curve, instability in CV's 3 and 4 application, coarse BEMF regimes. That last is becoming more important as an increasing number of RTR models are fitted with coreless motors which are very responsive to changes in current.

·
Chief cook &amp; bottle washer
2,919 Posts
QUOTE (Chris Smith @ 1 Mar 2021, 21:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm using a variety of decoders, for some reason that I haven't been able to work out, different motors seem to perform better with different decoders.
I'm using mainly Zimo, Laisdcc, and Hornby plus the odd Lenz 8pin.
As you say space is a premium so intend using a Laisdcc 1K Ohm 1/8 SMD resistor board with it.
Yes, but what decoder is in the loco we're talking about?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts