Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
http://www.geocities.com/loggingloco1/dctramway/reverse.htm

This is a subject with which I am wrestling with at the moment. The above link no longer works for what, presumably it was intended. Instead you are directed to a yahoo site.

I have wired in the switch (I am using DC) as per the many examples on the web.

Now it is a question of how do I use the switch?

I have placed isolating fishplates at each end of my loop and there is about 5' of track between them so there is plenty of space and time for me to change the DPDT switch.

Do I have to have the locomotive stationary and change the switch or can it be done with the train moving please?

Do I also have to change the controllers direction switch?

I know without the DPDT switch the locomotive stops because of a short due to the rails coming back on themselves but the opposite polarity.

The switch changes this but when do I use the switch?

I have looked at diodes but fear that will be too complicated although I do have plenty of these.

Any assistance would be appreciated please?

Sarah Winfield

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thank you for that further explanation.

I was going to ask a question about how others identify the direction a particular locomotive is going to go.

It seems to me what ever I do the first few millimetres of travel are always a bit of a lottery as to which way the locomotive is going to go. How do other members identify the direction of travel for a particular locomotive please?

Sarah Winfield

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.