Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Bog Snorkeller
983 Posts
QUOTE (Sarah Winfield @ 2 Jan 2015, 16:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The suggestion using 2 x DPDT switches, is that suitable to a DC controller please?

Sarah Winfield
Yes Sarah. Doing this creates two separately powered sections and, as Richards states, you have to make sure the polarity is correct as the train enters the loop section, whilst it is in the loop you change the main line switch (thus reversing the main line's original polarity) and the train will run straight off the loop at the other end without it having to stop. The problem is that you have to be aware the controller knob now shows it running in a different or opposite direction eg if it was in the forward (or right) position when running onto the loop, it will also be in the forward (or right) position as it runs off as you have effectively altered the direction when you threw the switch, you'll have to remember which way it is set.

·
Bog Snorkeller
983 Posts
QUOTE (Sarah Winfield @ 2 Jan 2015, 18:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thank you for that further explanation.

I was going to ask a question about how others identify the direction a particular locomotive is going to go.

It seems to me what ever I do the first few millimetres of travel are always a bit of a lottery as to which way the locomotive is going to go. How do other members identify the direction of travel for a particular locomotive please?

Sarah Winfield
Not sure I can explain what I would have done given this situation when I used DC, but I'll have a go:-

Install the 'main line' switch oriented horizontally rather than in the usual vertical alignment so that you switch it left to right or vice versa, not up and down. With the switch positioned left, turn the controller left and see which way the loco goes - with the switch positioned right the loco will travel in the opposite directions.

There are only four possible combinations of switch & controller position which would be relatively easy to learn and remember. A quick visual check of their positions would have you making 100% correct decisions - not 'a bit of a lottery as to which way the locomotive is going to go'.

Personally I'd start with the switch positioned right and use this as my default setting. If I ran a loco round the loop it would result in the switch being 'left' as the loco came off the loop - continue until the loco is stopped and then flick the switch back into its default position. ie you only have it in the left position when exiting the loop and only until you bring the loco to a standstill. You'll soon pick it up

Hope that's clear.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.