14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a newbie question:
Does anyone know why my hornby select controller does not work for the
followiing track layout?
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z296/khuws/rail.jpg
I have one track power clip connected to the layout and
all the points have the required dcc clips. If I remove the point that is circled in the
diagram then everything works fine. Do I have a reverse loop set up when the
point is included, and if so, how do I solve this porblem?
Thanks
Keith

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Your track is doubling back on itself and you have a polarity mix-up.

This is like a Y-reverser, where a loco can turn around. You need a reversing module to solve the problem. Unfortunately, the Hornby Select and Elite do not work with some existing reversing loop modules. You will have to wait for the Hornby reversing loop module.

Update (regarding which reversing modules we've tested), please refer to this post.

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 6 Jun 2007, 00:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Unfortunately, the Hornby Select and Elite do not work with existing reversing loop modules. You will have to wait for the Hornby reversing loop module.
Unfortuately or cynically? The lack of compatibility is disgraceful, the whole point of DCC is that each manufacturers components can be interchanged! Here of course one is forced to buy only Saint Hornby add-on modules once you have chosen a Saint Hornby controller - more money for them...and screw the modellers enjoyment. With people like Lenz about I can't see why anyone would touch a Hornby controller, even with a bargepole and hazmat suit to hand.

I say pay more for Lenz et al. because headaches like this are just not worth it in the long term. Since only a Saint Hornby reversal module can be used then they know that were they to charge a premium, those with the Elite or Select will have no choice but to pay it...or start from scratch again. A super choice...

Goedel

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Almost all auto reversing units work with any other DCC system exactly why won't they work with a Hornby system ?. Their cheap and readily available.
It's simply an auto sensing polarity switcher independent of the command unit, as it wired locally so why won't it work ?

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (khuws @ 5 Jun 2007, 23:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi
I have a newbie question:
Does anyone know why my hornby select controller does not work for the
followiing track layout?
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z296/khuws/rail.jpg
I have one track power clip connected to the layout and
all the points have the required dcc clips. If I remove the point that is circled in the
diagram then everything works fine. Do I have a reverse loop set up when the
point is included, and if so, how do I solve this porblem?
Thanks
Keith

Although in a sense it defeats the DCC principle of "2-wires only to the track" you could get over the problem using a double-pole double-throw switch & some wiring.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The problem as I understand it with Hornby DCC controllers and reversing loop modules is that the Hornby units are a bit too quick in spotting a short circuit and trip out before the auto reverse unit has time to swap polarity and remove the short.

As previously stated, its a great shame that Hornby haven't followed the normal rules of DCC and allowed their units to be fully compatible with other DCC makes! This also extends to their decoder too!
Hornby have done no service what-so-ever to the DCC groups, other than cause considerable bad press!

Overall a realy poor show from a leading UK supplier!

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Dennis personally I wouldn't use a PM42 for such a task particularly as you need a loconet connection to make it function. Are you a fellow Digitrax user ?, the PM42 is designed mainly for Digitrax users to give both auto reversing, power district management. For non Digitrax users the item to use is the AR1 this does not require a loconet connection to function, it is similar to many such devices on the market:

locally Lenz do one and so do NCE and I'm sure there are others. It might pay to investigate which if any can vary the switching timing the AR1 is variable on voltage but if this would effect timing I don't know. I have to agree with others on the comments about the Hornby system, it would have been much better if they complied with the agreed standard.

AR1
a PDF is here: AR1 pdf

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice - the choices seem to be wait until Hornby release the new module ot try the double-pole double-throw switch & some wiring. I'll look into the latter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"or buy a proper DCC set up if you don't find it too expensive."

Tha would be nice but the wife would make life hell for me. She's already complaining about the expense so far.
I think most newcomers go for the more well-known Hornby and it's only after spending so much money on the layout the they realise that they should have considered other manufacturers.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
QUOTE Tha would be nice but the wife would make life hell for me. She's already complaining about the expense so far.
I think most newcomers go for the more well-known Hornby and it's only after spending so much money on the layout the they realise that they should have considered other manufacturers.

My sympathy. Many folks who buy DCC fall into your trap - you are not alone !. I think the important thing is you will get a taste for DCC with DIY-DCC
and when the opportunity arises make a better choice of supplier next time. I think when buying it's important to compair and try out a few different systems.
The golden rule is to try and obtain the most amount of features you like. Handsets are the second most important feature of DCC after the command station it's self, here it's very much a personal thing, I like turning knobs, while others might like a slider control.
With the British tendency for smaller layouts, folks think to substitute the old centralised control of the trusty H&M for this new fangled DCC. But this is wrong thinking. DCC offers great mobility than in the past, so you can be right there during shunting or other operations - assuming of course you bought the right
command unit next time ! A small investment in DCC made easy from Amazon wouldn't go amiss it will increase your knowledge of the subject and is a nice easy read.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (khuws @ 6 Jun 2007, 23:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think most newcomers go for the more well-known Hornby and it's only after spending so much money on the layout the they realise that they should have considered other manufacturers.

I hate to say it but I think that we will be hearing this a lot in the near future. Just goes to show how effective the marketing is from H.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts