Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
It seems to me (based on our own experience & information gleened from the forums) that pickups are often the cause of defective performance, more so on models from the far east.

It is very easy to check with a meter if all the pickups are OK, but should not the manufactures do this as part of their quality control ? Testing a unit on a circle of track will not check all the pickups, just show that it runs - fine until the purchaser gets home & runs (or trys to) it over some pointwork or a section of less then perfect track.

Personally, I feel that the quality control is not as good as it should be - maybe the principle is financial - "a bit less quality control saves money" so it's cheaper to just churn out more & replace the few that get returned.

It seem to me that quite a lot of people are now prepared, willing (& able) to accept that they will complete the manufactures quality control & adjust things like pickups & back to backs. IMHO this is quite wrong & the manufactures should not be allowed to get away with it, otherwise this will eventually become the "norm". After all, if your new car need things like the wheels reballencing or the headlights adjusted you would not do that yourself - or would you ? I think not.

I may add that in over 30 years of dealing with German & Austrian built models I have only had one locomotive with a defective pickup & solder joint (both faults on the same locomotive)

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 22 Jun 2007, 08:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Regarding the Hornby Singles: this is a 'revival' of an old product, which in its' original form depend on magnetic attraction to the old type plated steel track to give it some pulling power. Single driver locos are difficult to obtain good traction from in model form as it is, and Hornby do not appear to have done anything to this item beyond put a current type of motor in it.

"Magnahesion" used to give the singles good traction as I recall. The "cures" as far as I can see would not be either practical or for some people acceptable ;
1) Traction tyres on the drivers - there would be problems with tyres of this size not causing uneven running & in any case too many ppl would not like them.
2) Drive the third axel as well - could be done with the correct gearing - expensive & again may not be acceptable to some ppl.
3) Extra weight, maybe metal body - problem is all extra weight also puts extra drag on 1st & 3rd axels !
4) Tender drive - again may not be popular.
5) Remember the Kitmaster motorised wagon ? - maybe let's not go down that one !

Not an easy one.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 22 Jun 2007, 12:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i think the singles are 1 area where tender drive is actually quite a good idea. but it would have to be a very good tender mechanism. not the ringfield junk we used to have.

Peter

Should be possible (albeit, at a prices) for example the tender drive mech fitted to the FLM DRG 13, although a 4-axel one has a small Fulhabour (spelling ?) motor & flywheel & has good traction, although with traction tyres, which probably won't be acceptable. Personally, if I wanted one & wanted it to perform I would not care how, as long as it performed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.