Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Turns out my layout does not fit my expectations, so it's coming down. The main thing is to make it modular so it can be moved and the space I have.

So the layout has an outside loop, so the trains can run continuously but also branch off for the dumper and loader. However I would also like to be able to have some shunting happening so your not just watching trains go round. The ultimate goal would be to have the dumper and loading working.

I have come up with the layout below and hit a few snags, the first I do not have 1.8m long arm span, so the corner is an issue. The second is most modules seem to be 1.2m x 0.6m wide, all though I could go for a 1.2mx1.2m module not sure if there would be any issues with going that way.

I'm not fixed to this layout, so any changes would be welcomed, even thought about running track under the dumper and loader and have the trains just come out at certain location, could be messy.

Cheers

Font Line Electricity Slope Engineering

·
Registered
160 Posts
Another option is to build the far corner as a separate unit, finished to completion then prior to fitting the main boards fit it onto the frame and then forget it and work from there around the rest of the layout. The worst thing you may have to deal with is track cleaning but that can be worked around with a mobile cleaner or a long stick!

·
Premium Member
6,484 Posts
I assume you can stand in the middle?
You nearly have three loops so why not make it so?
Also you nearly have three loops at the top by moving the points this would help, but no storage loops, sidings etc all the same curves too which is a bit odd.
The high half loop will have to climb 80mm at least so to get a 1 in 30 you will need 2.4 metres at each side plus a bit for transition? do you have loops of 2.6m plus top flat section - looks OK on this drawing but.......

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I can stand in the middle.

I never considered the layout as three loops, I consider the layout as only one loop and two sidings, since once the train enters the car dumper or loader siding they will be going too slow or stationary for it to be used as a loop.

Yes, most of the curves are the same radius, for the same reason as they are sidings rather than a main line. I would be great to have a double main line but I need to but a bigger house.

The grades are the tricky bit, I have since worked out all I need is 80mm separation for the cross-overs, so I have one going down (to the dumper) while the other two (loader and main line) are going up, so the max length I need is 1.7m for 50mm.

As for the vertical curves (transitions) I managed to find some design guide lines, which when converted to HO where pretty massive. I'm not sure as to whether I should have a change of grade of 1% over the length of a wagon or the loco (150mm or 280mm respectively)

Now you just left me hang, but??

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
What is the overall length of this layout ? It looks fairly short to me and if so, I think that is going to have a significant impact on the gradients.

On the right hand end, you have sweeping curves (which I agree with). What are their radii ?

On the left hand end, you've adopted the 'wall hugger layout' approach. It would look much better to have sweeping curves, same as the right hand end.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The overall length is 4.1m by 1.8m wide with a 600mm gap in the middle for access, the grades are range from 2% to 3%. The min radius I have set is 460mm, I think the largest is 800mm but on average it's about 660mm.

The baseboards are going to be 1200x600, so I can pull it apart if need, but I think I have leave some room if I use dowels to line up the baseboards. Still looking for a dowel solution.

I have taken on board your comment about the left hand side. Now it's just trying to work out the shunting side of things. I was also hoping to get a maintenance shed in there, but it's not looking hopeful.

Purple Slope Font Rectangle Line

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Is this OO or N gauge ?

If it is N gauge, then the layout is probably OK.
The largest radius of those curves at the left and right end is going to have a diameter of around 1.6M, leading to a radius of 80cm which is 31 inches ie 2 1/2 foot. The inner curves will be around 66cm (tad over 2 foot). In my opinion, that is far too tight for OO and you won't be running anything other than 0-6-0's or bogie vehicles, the latter of which are going to have rediculous sideways overhangs at the ends.

My suggestion would be to increase the overall width of the layout so that you can increase the end curve radii, This will reduce the length of straights along each side.

I also think you will find 600mm to be too small as an operating area, so widening the whole thing will help in that department.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi

It's HO, my current layout has Hornby 2nd (438mm) and 3rd (505mm) radius and all the locos and wagons run ok, hopefully with the transitions I'm going to incorporate will help.

The 600mm gap is based on the foam boards I'm going to use as the base, they only come in 1200 x 600 x 50mm. I'll see if I can get bigger sheets so I can open up the gap.

Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I have finalised the grades and clearances, so the max grade is 3%, just need to work on the contours. I was going to go with bridges but the batter slopes were not working so I'm going with tunnels instead. Would like to get a creek in there somewhere, but will see how it goes.

Rectangle Slope Terrestrial plant Grass Font

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I finally pulled apart the old layout, which gave me time to fiddle with the new layout, I have moved things around and came up with this instead. Always felt like I just didn't have the space but I thing this works

Basically I have train load out on the hill (LHS), a car dumper (Top), and maintenance shed with a fuel storage (bottom).

Just want to run it past the group to see if there is something wrong with it or something I could add.

Cheers

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Screenshot

1 - 16 of 16 Posts