Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm starting to build my layout this year hopefully in the summer. Planning ahead my thoughts are looking at possible computer control and the hidden storage . How do I know which train is on what track if I can't see them ? There are various systems/ways but RFID seems like a good way to know where your trains/engines are . I was thinking of just the bar coding only the loco's to start with maybe with the readers just in the hidden storage area . But from what i've seen it is be better to site it below the track so before the track is laid in which case in other areas as well as the storage. I'm sure somebody out there have had experience of this system I would be interested on you thoughts . Jim

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi David I am aware of MERG and RailCom but not really had a look but will do. I was looking at Mc Kinley model railway and they were using RFID it is impressive although not without it's snags. They have a massive model railway with a lots of operators and running to timetables. My plan was to have trains made up and run them round via the hidden storage where they will stay then reappear later so knowing which track they are on so the points can be set would be useful . One of the advantages of the system is it using wi-fi meaning less wiring . Lot's to think about and more to study. Thanks for your reply. Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts