Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
I've owned a Rivarossi H8 2-6-6-6 for a while now and it was recently pointed out to me that the front engine's wheels appear to rotate a little faster than those of the rear engine. The loco was accoumpanied by a very basic set of instructions that shed no light on the subject. The loco was also accompanied by a selection of parts in the box which include a replacement pair of wheels complete with gear fitted. Is the spare axle just a spre or can one of the mechanisms be regeared with it to provide rpm parity of the two units, anyone know?

Cheers
Paul M

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hi Paul,

One reason the wheels may turn at different speeds is that the powered wheel set will be going at the speed of the motor and possibly slipping when under load and the non powered set will be going at the speed of the locomotive or slightly slower if not turning freely.

Trust this helps.

John

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John but sadly no help as both engine units of the loco are driven, appears to be a difference in gaering betweem the two.

Cherrs
Paul M

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Brian.
Just the one motor, shaft drive to two gearboxes. looks like I may have to write to Mr Hornby and pose the question at a Manufacturers level.

Cheers
paul M

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi
It may also be possible that that a bit of dirt has got caught on the rear wheel and is holding it back.
Regards,
Ben

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.