Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just been surfing the German Ebay site and found a Pullman Saloon in blue and white livery.
The number on the box is HR 4011.
Looking at the image it looks to be up to the standard Rivarossi achieved

I have not seen this model advertised

Priced at 59 Euro (£40) seems very reasonable if the Quality is as above.
If so all I can say is WELL DONE Hornby.

All the best.

David

Ps, Just thought
it's not old stock with a new label
Can anyone enlighten me.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
David,

HR 4011 would certainly appear to be a Hornby international catalogue number as it stands for Hornby Rivarossi.

Any use?

Regards

John

·
DT
4,794 Posts

RIVAROSSI HR4011 CIWL restaurant car for the Orient Express in blue & beige era II
(HO scale) Restaurant car of the "Compagnie Internationale Des Wagons Lits" CIWL operating of the world renowned Simplon Orient Express as it operated in the glorious railway years between the two world wars. Model is in blue and beige colors (may differ from image) and compliments sets HR4010 and HR4020. Epoch II, short coupling mechanisms, sprung buffers, NEM coupler sockets, full interiors, length: 270mm.

Great looking coach. If you're feeling kind, please send me some of these for my birthday

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Maybe if we were based in Germany (or at least across the water) we would be able to get some to sell !

& yes, it is a new style number.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all

I hope hornby release all the ex european makes if they make them as good as this

The only information they don't give is the coach number or is 4011 the vehicle modelled.
Rivarossi model number 4003.

If its as good as this
Then they have my vote

All the best,

David

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
The Rivarossi coaches were always beautifully detailed, they wetre normally let down by locos that could barely move themselves - let alone a train!!

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 7 Jun 2007, 00:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks all

I hope hornby release all the ex european makes if they make them as good as this

The only information they don't give is the coach number or is 4011 the vehicle modelled.
Rivarossi model number 4003.

If its as good as this
Then they have my vote

All the best,

David
Thats a fantastic coach. Who makes that one? Is that the Rivarossi?

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
John,

I am very surprised at your comment re the hauling power of Rivarossi Loco's

My DRG E19/DB 10/DB 39/DB232 haul eight coaches with no problem.
What Loco's do you have

If you still have the Rivarossi traction tyres on the models,Try exchanging them to the Fleischmann type as used on there 2-10-0 tender driven models (black rubber type not the clear ones).These I put on all my models (other than Roco) as standard.

Neil,

Yes
I would put them on par with ADE for quality
It looks as if Hornby are using the same coach abiet with a different running number.
The number of variations of coach types and combinations is enormous.
The Golden Arrow Pullmans in the umber and brown for the french train are masterpieces of mass production

Come on Hornby you must be on a winner with these coaches,just look what they fetch on Ebay

If you like to see more,have a peak at my website under Wagon Lits coaches.

All the best.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE Neil,

Yes I would put them on par with ADE for quality It looks as if Hornby are using the same coach abiet with a different running number.
The number of variations of coach types and combinations is enormous.
The Golden Arrow Pullmans in the umber and brown for the french train are masterpieces of mass production
Come on Hornby you must be on a winner with these coaches,just look what they fetch on Ebay
If you like to see more,have a peak at my website under Wagon Lits coaches.

All the best.

David

I certainly will. They look great. Thanks

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Neil,

The Blue Dining cars were used in F trains until DSG took over in I think 1956.
Good excuse to use them on a German layout

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 7 Jun 2007, 18:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Neil,

The Blue Dining cars were used in F trains until DSG took over in I think 1956.
Good excuse to use them on a German layout

David
David,

thanks again.
I have ordered the F-Zug coach set from Trix to go with their BR05 Profi club model. These coaches will be an excellent addition.
Neil

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have found another CIWL train by Hornby advertised on www.ontracks.co.uk.
Ostend-Wien Express Epoch II?
HR4031 Set 1 x Blue/2x Blue and Ivory coaches.
HR4032 Set 3 x Sleeping cars with different numbers.
HR 4033 Saloon Car.
If you want something different to run this would make a stunning train.
My interest is the German route of the train,which I think would have been Aachen-Koln-Wurzburg-Munich.
All I need to find out is what hauled it on its journey through Germany and what other stock would have been added to the train,if any

Wonderful hobby

All the best,

David

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 7 Jun 2007, 09:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am very surprised at your comment re the hauling power of Rivarossi Loco's

My DRG E19/DB 10/DB 39/DB232 haul eight coaches with no problem.

The comment was based on observations at the Nurnberg toy fair a few years ago, just before the demise of Lima etc. When visiting their stand a loco would go round the layout with two coaches but on addiing a third it stalled. This may have been due to qualityy control and build problems at that time.

My only Rivarossi loco is tender powered via a cardan shaft to the driving wheels and runs and hauls beautifully, but it was built in the early eighties.

Regards

John

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
The couple of Rivarossi locos I had in the 70's were very light & could just about manage a couple of free running FLM coaches. I did notice though at the time Rivarossi coaches were very light - maybe that's the reason. But then they were made in the same country as cars that were known as Fix It Again Tomorrow !

·
Registered
107 Posts
Have been avidly reading all the comments of the Rivarossi re-issues.Hope they do the Henschel-Wegmann-Zug again.

Over the years I have aquired several of various types of the CIWL coaches as their detail was always a great attraction to me.
I managed to aquire the Golden Arrow Nord set as new with the Chapeleon [spelling] designed loco years back 1999 when eBay was resonable at $149.
Bad thing was the motor in drivers cab.Spoilt the look at certain angles.
I am allways in shock at the prices reached on eBay these days.Certainly out of my reach nowadays.

I am going to try and add link for a not too common CIWL from Rivarossi.Really shocking eBay prices reached on it nowadays I won't repeat here.

Rivarossi car

I have a reference book put out by Rivarossi on the occasion of 50 year aniversary.
"50 Years Railway Models'.It lists all products for the 50 years HO and N.
The listings are in Italian.Just need # to get date of manufacture.

Cheers,
Bryan.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Recently, we were offered a beautiful mint set of Rivarossi CIWL's (5 in total). I wanted them for my own collection, but alas, they did not have close couplings & I just could not bear the thought of modifying them - fortunatly, they were purchased by someone who intended to leave them as they were & run them.

It seems to me that some retailers are able to obtain HI & some (like us) not - maybe its - no I'm not going there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
QUOTE (Nozomi @ 8 Jun 2007, 22:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have been avidly reading all the comments of the Rivarossi re-issues.Hope they do the Henschel-Wegmann-Zug again.

Over the years I have aquired several of various types of the CIWL coaches as their detail was always a great attraction to me.
I managed to aquire the Golden Arrow Nord set as new with the Chapeleon [spelling] designed loco years back 1999 when eBay was resonable at $149.
Bad thing was the motor in drivers cab.Spoilt the look at certain angles.
I am allways in shock at the prices reached on eBay these days.Certainly out of my reach nowadays.

I am going to try and add link for a not too common CIWL from Rivarossi.Really shocking eBay prices reached on it nowadays I won't repeat here.

Rivarossi car

I have a reference book put out by Rivarossi on the occasion of 50 year aniversary.
"50 Years Railway Models'.It lists all products for the 50 years HO and N.
The listings are in Italian.Just need # to get date of manufacture.

Cheers,
Bryan.

Sorry my comments did not get any response as yet.
I am wondering what I might be doing wrong.Maybe I should not mention my aquisitions which I included to make comparisons etc etc.

The Rivarossi Nord in chocolate brown for the French side of the "Golden Arrow" by the way can haul 8 CIWL well.

Perhaps I should have said click on "Rivarossi car" to see photobucket pics of the Rivarossi Egypt version of CIWL,would have thought of interest to Turkish residents as this car went through to Istambul I beleive.

I mentioned reference book as somebody might need the info.

Lastly in passing,if anybody comes across Rivarossi CIWL car number 4150 catalogue number 3568 it is the 50th Aniversary edition with real gold CIWL coat of arms.It would be a treasure.

Regards,
Bryan.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
In case anyone's interested there are about 10 Rivarossi CIWL/VSOE coaches on eBay at the moment one number is 130123051909 - the same seller has the others. Currently one bidder has the lot except for one which is now £20 +.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
QUOTE (Nozomi @ 10 Jun 2007, 19:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry my comments did not get any response as yet.
I am wondering what I might be doing wrong.Maybe I should not mention my aquisitions which I included to make comparisons etc etc.

The Rivarossi Nord in chocolate brown for the French side of the "Golden Arrow" by the way can haul 8 CIWL well.

Perhaps I should have said click on "Rivarossi car" to see photobucket pics of the Rivarossi Egypt version of CIWL,would have thought of interest to Turkish residents as this car went through to Istambul I beleive.

I mentioned reference book as somebody might need the info.

Lastly in passing,if anybody comes across Rivarossi CIWL car number 4150 catalogue number 3568 it is the 50th Aniversary edition with real gold CIWL coat of arms.It would be a treasure.

Regards,
Bryan.

Bryan,

The golden arrow set you have is worth a small fortune.I saw one some time ago on Ebay.
Have all the coaches in the set got different numbers?
The white coach you have, I think? only ran in Egypt,as the rail connection from Istanbul to Cairo was never completed.
The coaches make a superb and striking train

David

·
Registered
107 Posts
QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 10 Jun 2007, 20:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bryan,

The golden arrow set you have is worth a small fortune.I saw one some time ago on Ebay.
Have all the coaches in the set got different numbers?
The white coach you have, I think? only ran in Egypt,as the rail connection from Istanbul to Cairo was never completed.
The coaches make a superb and striking train

David

Thanks for your reply David.

The set has four coaches of different numbers and the ref book gives manufacture date of 1989,18 years old!
They have NEM pockets and have close couple mechanism.Not as close as I'd like but better than the old ones which aren't equiped NEM and CC mechanism. They are'85 and earlier.The corridor connections have little protruding grab handles which would bind in reverse curves.I would not want to remove them.
A rake of them is great to see.
The loco came with the Flesche d'Or logo and coaches came with coach desination boards.These coaches are preserved in the Mulhouse museum apparently reading from the lavishly huge '83 catalogue with the Orient Express picture on the cover.
The set was new and I was lucky to get it in the good old days of eBay.
I can't find any history regards the prototype Egypt version except for your comments.I did not know about that.
By the way and this is not a boast the last time I saw the Egypt car it went for US$300+.The seller was Vahs and he has some very choice minty items on from time to time.
Again I was very lucky to get my "Egypt sample" plus about ten other various types and liveries blue,blue white and chocolate and cream over the years.
Now they reach out of sight prices quite out of my range.
The new Hornby ones seem cheap in comparison.I'd like to see how they match up to the old ones.
It seems a lot of Italian collectors are very interested in the old Rivarossi items these days going by the winning bidders.

Regards,
Bryan.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts