Model Railway Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Anybody else unable to log in to RMweb2? All I get is a screen asking for my user name and pass word which it then refuses to accept. Looks awfully like a severe case of hacking to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Poor Andy is going to be tearing his hair out...

Makes me wonder if this is malicious too - new provider, new site, same old problem.

Hope they are back up and running soon - Much as I like it here, I miss it over there!

·
Registered
18 Posts
It looks like a standard IIS / Windows Server error to me. Probably the database needs restarting.....

Fingers crossed anyway...

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE looks like a standard IIS / Windows Server error to me.

Hmmm - Don't know IIS very well (for good reason it seems
). However, I once had an Apache web server at work (on Solaris) that ran for two years under pretty continuous load without a reboot. Like to see IIS do that

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too am having the same old problems getting onto RMWeb2. I hope everything is soon up and running or I'm likely to get withdrawl symptoms.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think we have been here before!
I thought it was just me at first, tried logging on at work and thought that the administrator was trying to spoil my day time pursuits!

·
Registered
536 Posts
RMWeb Site seems blighted at present!

I'm getting the same password pop up!

QUOTE Heh, god ol' reliable Windoze junk.

For those who haven't noticed, Andy is posting updates on restoration progress at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/

How is one supposed to notice??? Not used this link since the new site started! In fact I didnt know it still existed! My favorites and brower point to the RMweb2 pages. Anyway, thanks for the update Lisa

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I don't mean to be rude but this thread is Spam and entirely about another forum which is against Model Rail Forum rules. If another forum breaks down then whilst we are happy to welcome additional visitors and contributions about model railways, contributions of this "general gassing type" are not welcome at Model Rail Forum as it does not do anything to help further the hobby of railway modelling.

Please feel free to continue visiting Model Rail Forum but please read the rules about posting links to other forums. We do not wish our junior and family members to visit sites which appear to have a proven record of having a limited social responsibility.

Thankyou for your understanding.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
18 Posts
"I don't mean to be rude but"

Tut tut, obviously nobody taught you English properly, as the use of the word "but" in a phrase invalidates the previous sentiments expressed.

Your post was rude, and arrogant in the extreme. Some of the finest modellers around, some who have done much to contribute to Railway Modelling, are regular contributors to RMWeb. Just because we like a "general gas" too doesn't in any way lessen our appetite for modelling, on the contrary I believe it shows us as far more rounded individuals capable of having a discussion about something other than our hobby.

From what I have seen of this site, with a (very) few contributors excepted, it does little to promote railway *modelling*, and far more to promote toy trains and box collecting.

And as for not wishing your "junior and family members" to visit a site that has shown "limited social responsibility" - what utter hogwash. RMWeb has plenty of female and a few junior members, all of whom are valued contributors. Are you afraid they might actually see something resembling railway modelling for a change?

I'm sure that this post will be moderated, as it seems that freedom of thought and speech is not welcome here. So it's goodbye from me.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Ok I do mean to be rude....

....however Model Rail Forum has rules for a good reason and the same controls apply at the sister site www.slotforum.com which has 4500 members with a high proportion being in the junior category.

Having discussions about something other than the theme of model railways is not for a forum purporting to be about model railways and that protects MRF members from all age groups and both male and female from being uncomfortable with topics under discussion.

Yes, Model Rail Forum does have a lot of discussion about the areas that you are critical of and the fact that you seem to think this way about certain groups within the hobby shows prejudices that Model Rail Forum simply will not put up with.

We welcome all folk interested in model railways, be they modellers who use set track, modellers who use finescale track, club modellers, DCC experts and beginners and even collectors who do not model.

And we are a free speaking forum as long as members stick to the theme of railways of all shapes, form, sizes, and anything else that you can think of!

Happy modelling
Gary.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Well said Gary.
I lurked here and on other forums for I while before I joined any of them and I have to say that the standard set here was the deciding factor as to why I joined here and not any other site.The membership may be less here but what we do have is quality members who both respect the rules and each other. I can't comment on what the current rmweb membership is like because with the exception of a bit of "rubber necking" over "Bachmanngate" I haven't been there but the childish reply you got to your informing them of the rules hasn't made me think it's time to leave this site or even take up dual nationality.
Now I don't have the opinion that this site is better than any other it's just better for me, everybody is welcome here so long as they uphold the standards that we expect here at MRF.
I don't know if you have to do much moderating Gary and co, if you do, keep up the good work and thanks for a great site.
Andii Sewell aka Arethusa (no hiding behind a pseudonym here)

·
Registered
342 Posts
As a member here and at rmweb i do use both sites and find your words a little harsh gary. If it was MRF experiencing difficulties I'm sure all the members would be welcomed with open arms at Rmweb I am a member of 5 internet forums and on all the other 4 threads like this are quite acceptable as a place for members to discuss whats on their minds

RmWeb is not a rival to MRF it is an alternative forum one where the more frivolous side of human nature is allowed freedom of expression

In terms of being a useful contribution to the hobby all forums devoted to railway modelling can be useful each has areas that they excel in but in overall terms and this is MY subjective view the pecking order is

1) DEMU FORUM
2) RMWEB
3) Model Rail Forum
4) MRE
5) Rails of Sheffield forum
6) BRM Forum

So please Gary be aware that some of the membership of this forum sees things from a differant perspective and "slagging off" another forum because it generates discussion on this one is offensive to some of the membership of this forum I find this forum very useful but i also find merit in other forums also and will continue to use ALL of them for as long as I am interested in this hobby

This is a good forum but so is Rmweb and for the GREATER GOOD of the hobby I hope both will continue to coexist peacefully

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.