Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Due to the total absence of good quality die-cast models of cars of the 1930's and 1940's in 1:76/OO I would like to try my hand at building a white metal kit, never having done one before now.

Could someone recommend a good manufacturer please and also advise me as to the degree of ease/difficulty in building these as compared to, say, an Airfix plastic kit.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 7 Mar 2007, 14:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>not sure about the period but try south eastern finecast.

Peter

Thanks Peter I had a look; they have some lovely models but sadly not in my scale!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
whilst on the subject....the old ERTL range of Thomas the Tank Engine....had a very nice diecast taxi...not absolutely sure how it would scale out, but........????

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
also...although generally 1:87 scale.....check out Model Railroader, or somesuch, for US prototype cast resin vehicles?

Since US vehicles tended to be on the large side anyway, some might prove useful...I have a 40's Ford, which had separate wheels so they could be 'positioned' and it doesn't look out of place alongside 1:76 cars....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Scalelink does some very nice white metal vehicle kits - a lot from the '20s and '30s. Good casting, relatively easy to assmble.

Mainly Trains stocks them.

Adrian

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
You could also try Langley Miniature Models - www.langleymodels.co.uk

Regards

John

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
QUOTE (andrewrg @ 7 Mar 2007, 22:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Due to the total absence of good quality die-cast models of cars of the 1930's and 1940's in 1:76/OO I would like to try my hand at building a white metal kit, never having done one before now.

Could someone recommend a good manufacturer please and also advise me as to the degree of ease/difficulty in building these as compared to, say, an Airfix plastic kit.

Many thanks.

I find white metal no more difficult to assemble than plastic however like any kit they are usually as good as the quality of production and the instructions! This in terms is often represented in the price.

I use CA glue for white metal kits commonly called supa glue down here. Therefore you need to be careful compared with the plastic cemtn in terms of stick body parts together

1 - 10 of 10 Posts