Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My interest is the Blue Era and the 70's and 80's. Strange because I used to go and watch the steam engines so have seen the green diesels but the blue seem to hold my interest more. Problem is if you want to model this era there are very few cars to use on a layout. Yes you can get Minis and landrovers and the odd Ford Capri, MGB but where are the Triumph 2000's Ford Cortinas and Vauxhall Vivas of the period? Vanguard do an excellent range but sadly only in O gauge so where do we get the right vehicles (cars mostly) for this era?

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (chriswright03 @ 6 Apr 2007, 19:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My interest is the Blue Era and the 70's and 80's. Strange because I used to go and watch the steam engines so have seen the green diesels but the blue seem to hold my interest more. Problem is if you want to model this era there are very few cars to use on a layout. Yes you can get Minis and landrovers and the odd Ford Capri, MGB but where are the Triumph 2000's Ford Cortinas and Vauxhall Vivas of the period? Vanguard do an excellent range but sadly only in O gauge so where do we get the right vehicles (cars mostly) for this era?

I know that they are HO but Herpa have re-issued a lot of their 70 & 80's vehicles in their budget range - many of the cars, especially the Fords & Opels were around in those days.

Again, Wiking & Ritze do some of the older Transits & such like.

Also the Gaugemaster HO cars have the VW Beetle & Camper Van, MkII Jag & a few others.

A little bit of careful positioning & you probably won't notice the scale of the HO vehicles.

Hope this helps. (BTW - we sell loads of HO vehicles to OO modellers !)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 6 Apr 2007, 20:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know that they are HO but Herpa have re-issued a lot of their 70 & 80's vehicles in their budget range - many of the cars, especially the Fords & Opels were around in those days.

Again, Wiking & Ritze do some of the older Transits & such like.

Also the Gaugemaster HO cars have the VW Beetle & Camper Van, MkII Jag & a few others.

A little bit of careful positioning & you probably won't notice the scale of the HO vehicles.

Hope this helps. (BTW - we sell loads of HO vehicles to OO modellers !)
Thanks for that Brian I shall have a bit better look at the HO stuff.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
This has long been a problem for 4mm modellers. The problem with buses was solved a while ago with the advent of EFE and OOC, the commercial vehicle side is getting better with a steady supply of trucks now becoming available. But cars, oh dear, ever since Triang stopped making the Minix series in about 1970 (not sure of the date) they have been a problem. You could try toy fairs for these, they do come up from time to time, particularily the later Triumph 2000.

You could also try some of the older Matchbox cars.

Regards

John

·
Registered
34 Posts
QUOTE (chriswright03 @ 6 Apr 2007, 19:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My interest is the Blue Era and the 70's and 80's. Problem is if you want to model this era there are very few cars to use on a layout. Yes you can get Minis and landrovers and the odd Ford Capri, MGB but where are the Triumph 2000's Ford Cortinas and Vauxhall Vivas of the period?

Some kits are available - Springside do the Triumph 2000 Mk.2 and I have the HB Viva in my own range - see www.tpmodels.co.uk (CARKIT-4 range). There are some 1960s/70s vehicles in the R.Parker range, including a very nice Rover 3.5 coupe.
Might also be worth watching the new Oxford Diecasts range as they are introducing some early 60s cars next month - they may do more recent ones in due course.

Bernard Taylor, Taylor Precision Models

1 - 5 of 5 Posts