Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went along to this as a kid in 1979/80 at Rainhill - 3 day extravaganza with loads of locos, including the APT pulled by a diesel!!

Anyone know how i can get some footage of this? BBC did a program about it on BBC2, and people may have taken video/cine??

I used to live 400 yards or so from the bridge by the ex (old) Lea Green station (not the new one!), and am planning on modelling Rainhill station & skew bridge, and Lea Green too and am thinking of modelling the cavalcade time so I can have lots of different locos etc.

Many thanks for any help!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I thought that BTF (?) made a video of this event, but I have no idea if it would still be available.

Regards

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I think the BTF film is of the 150th anniversary of railways made in 1975. I can't find a mention of Rocket 150 on their website. I haven't found any other dvd's that mention the Rocket 150 event so far.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
To confirm what poliss said, here's the blurb on the BTF "Rail 150" short film which is on disc 1 of "The British Transport Films Collection - Volume One - On and Off the Rails".

QUOTE Highlights of the Grand Steam Cavalcade held at Shildon on the route of the Stockton & Darlington Railway, on 31 August 1975 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the world's first public passenger steam railway

The film is 14 minutes long.

David

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the above,

would be very interested in getting hold of the BBC program if at all possible.

Ian

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
of hand i think the APT was pulled by a peak.

The HST was looking fantastic.

I was browing through the library at the MRC last night and i came across a comemorative booklet.

other stuff was duchess of hamilton that was newly restored and some very nice coaches from the former LNWR royal train.

Peter

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I've thumbed through the comprehensive video/DVD printed catalogue and supplements produced by 'The Signal Box' at Anstey, Leics, and can find no mention of the Rocket 150 being on film.

NRM at York www.nrm.org.uk now have their 'Search Engine' at least partly on line, and a look at that, or using the contact facility, might provide you with an answer.

A quick edit: Just thought to look in John Huntley's 'Railways on the Screen'
This says that there was a documentary "The Rainhill Story" screened on the BBC in 1980, which gave the story of the Liverpool and Manchester, the Rainhill Trials and the background to the 150th celebrations. Huntley goes on to say that the actual event was later covered by newsreel units and a BBC Outside Broadcast. This he covers separately under the heading "Rocket 150" produced by BBC Television which is a 60min film of the three-day event.
So start asking the BBC if they've ever released it or allowed it to be used?

Regards,
John Webb

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 4 Apr 2008, 11:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>of hand i think the APT was pulled by a peak..........
I was browing through the library at the MRC last night and i came across a comemorative booklet.

Which got me hunting through my archive/library. I found both the commemorative guide and the post event photo album. and somewhere in the magazine archive there's probably more.

Incidentally Peter the APT-P was towed (one way at least) by a then brand new 56 077.

Regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts