Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to build an operational model of the Rocket or similar type of loco. Does anyone know of a kit or model that will facilitate this? Has anyone experience of motorising the Dapol kit?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I'm sure I've seen the Airfix Rocket kit motorised by putting a motor in the tender. Can't find the link now. :-(

·
Registered
235 Posts
QUOTE (Tony Clarke @ 1 Apr 2009, 00:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would like to build an operational model of the Rocket or similar type of loco. Does anyone know of a kit or model that will facilitate this? Has anyone experience of motorising the Dapol kit?

Hi Tony,

Check out the comments by Nick in this recent link in this forum

Dave

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
perhaps a search for one of the old K's ''Milestones'' whitemetal kits might satisfy that urge for victoriana?

Or..as suggested elsewhere, a look at Bachmann's oldtimer stuff [in HO , 3.5mm scale I think]?.....I used to have a DeWitt Clinton vertical boiler jobbie......long since gone.....[bang]....Didn't fleischmann/rivarossi/ Pocher/somebody foreign do a Blucher or somesuch? As a set?

A handy idea is to build a loco and use a powered coach or wagon.......Bachmann's Underground Ernie trolley mechaism might prove useful with this one??

There once was a live steam Rocket [Hornby??]...pretty pricey nowadays, I suspect......plus, Aster producesd some live steam early locos.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
The Triang 00 gauge Rocket was first available in the Autumn of 1963. It was not sold after 1968, other than a limited run in 1983 mainly as presentation packs with three coaches.

The Hornby live steam Rocket was a 3.5 inch gauge model produced initially in 1979 to commemorate the 150th anniversery of the Rainhill Trials. Some 23,500 sets were made over a couple of years, which is why there are not many about now.

(With acknowledgement to Pat Hammond's 'History of Rovex'.)

Regards,
John Webb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts