Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wonder if anyone has one of these 0-10-0 tender locos and if they can please give me feedback on the running qualities, especially low speed and shunting. Also is the roco decoder 10745 good for this purpose?
Thanks,
Andrew

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Roco generally runs well anyway - I would tend to avoid the Roco decoder & fit something like a Lenz, ESU, TCS or even the Bachmann 3-function (it's actually an ESU).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Andrew,
I first bought the Roco BR57 at the Wigan model railway exhibition in 1990, and it quickly became one of my favourite locos due to its exemplory running qualities, especially at slow speed, never knew it to stall! A change of interest led to it being sold a few years ago, but last year Roco released the SNCF version (050B) which has the same mechanism as the BR57, indeed it is a BR57 but in SNCF livery. I quickly snapped one up, and again its running qualities are impeccable. Therefore I thoroughly recommend one to you, if you go second hand avoid the earlier ones (those with a ref no that ends in the letter A) merely because the older Roco models are just not up to comparison with their models from 1990 onwards.

Being a strictly DC analogue man, unable to help with your decoder query, but do get a BR57 you won't be disappointed.

regards

Clive

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Andrew, you are now in my territory.

The roco Br57 , flawless. Both in running and in detail quality. To me one of the best that Roco did up till today.

Mine is analogue and is in que to be hardwired after the Fleischmann Br55.

Their last year release Br57 also comes with a 8 pin socket.

I would recommend an Esu lokpilot decoder rather than a Roco one.

Go for the New release one.

Baykal

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated as I don't get to see any European stock here in West Australia. I am eyeing a new one off from Modellbahn Kram for 140 Euros which seems reasonable to me. Thanks for advice on decoders too, I'll give that a miss. I thought that they might be specially set up for the running characteristics of Roco locos.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
My Roco 57 class is the only 2nd hand loco I own in my modest stock. I got it for 90Euro back in 2005 and it seemed good value to me then for the condition etc.
Agree with the others, beautiful loco, runs great, a must for anyone modelling up to the 1960s. If you've got a 57 class, a 93 class, then a 64 class, 86 class and finally a 50 class, you'll cover a lot of Epoche 3a branchline and general Nebenbahn operation!! (excluding Bavaria, of course!!).
Don't forget you have a resource of DB Epoche 3 modellers over here in NSW.

By the way, Kramm are excellent, used them for years!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Zmil,

I am on nodding terms with Bill so I will ask him what he has got under the counter if I see him. Last Eurolok I saw in Stanbridges or any where else here was a year or two back before i started on my current project.
Thanks, Andrew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts