Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I have been waiting for this review for some time.

So it has finally arrived and as usual a first class review again from Neil. Thanks

Boxes! Roco is always a looser in that. Hopeless. I had the opportunity to talk this issue with one of Roco's top managers, even brought along with me a Fleischmann loco, to show both boxes and how one was miles away from the other. His answer was short and clear; Its cheaper. I rested my case.

Neil when you mean the body is metal you mean the loco body don't you? I knew the tender was metal but the loco body came as a surprise.

I presume the speaker is under the cab roof. If so,judging by the photos they have hidden it quite well.

Can it negotiate tight curves like R2 ?

Thanks and enjoy running it looks like was worth the wait. Its on my list too.

Baykal

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hi

Great review Neil, always well layed out and full of what we want to know. Very good history lesson and this loco will be part of my 2yr armored project. Were you happy with its traction.... pulling power? I take it you cant see the speaker in the cab, I couldn't find it in your pictures. You have the liliput version as well how does it compare to that?

I like the buy it now feature at the very end, I think that is a great idea, but no links yet.

All in all a great review thanks now I got to get up and do a loco at some stage.

Cheers

Martin

·
DT
4,794 Posts
QUOTE (Martin71 @ 16 Mar 2009, 12:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...I like the buy it now feature at the very end, I think that is a great idea, but no links yet.

Are you not seeing the links on the Buy-it-now page?

If you are blocking the banner ads on the forum, then you won't see any. Allow the ads to be shown - they help support the forum - without support, the forum wouldn't be here.

The ads are hosted on http://ads.bullseye.co.uk/ - perhaps set up an exception in your blocking software.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 16 Mar 2009, 20:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have been waiting for this review for some time.

So it has finally arrived and as usual a first class review again from Neil. Thanks

Boxes! Roco is always a looser in that. Hopeless. I had the opportunity to talk this issue with one of Roco's top managers, even brought along with me a Fleischmann loco, to show both boxes and how one was miles away from the other. His answer was short and clear; Its cheaper. I rested my case.

Neil when you mean the body is metal you mean the loco body don't you? I knew the tender was metal but the loco body came as a surprise.

I presume the speaker is under the cab roof. If so,judging by the photos they have hidden it quite well.

Can it negotiate tight curves like R2 ?

Thanks and enjoy running it looks like was worth the wait. Its on my list too.

Baykal
Hi Baykal, apologies for that. This is actually an earlier draft of the review which was corrected later however I accidentally sent through the early version to Doug. I have since sent the newer correct version to Doug so hopefully it will get rectified soon. The tender tub body is metal with a plastic top cover. The loco body is plastic.

I haven't run it on any tight curves yet but I would say that it should be able to. If you add the piston rods it would prevent running on tighter curves.

cheers

Neil

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Martin71 @ 16 Mar 2009, 22:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi

Great review Neil, always well layed out and full of what we want to know. Very good history lesson and this loco will be part of my 2yr armored project. Were you happy with its traction.... pulling power? I take it you cant see the speaker in the cab, I couldn't find it in your pictures. You have the liliput version as well how does it compare to that?

I like the buy it now feature at the very end, I think that is a great idea, but no links yet.

All in all a great review thanks now I got to get up and do a loco at some stage.

Cheers

Martin
Hi Martin, thanks for that. I'd be very interested to hear about your armour project. That's why I bought this one, to ship Tiger tanks to the Russian front. I'm still trying out different tanks and wagons to get the mix I want.

I have been toying with the idea of getting a cheaper version and covering it with armour plating to recreate the armoured train that Mikro metakit did. I don't have the time to complete the project at the moment but am collecting information to enable me to do that at a later point (when the kids aren't as much work).

I don't have the Liliput but the concensus is that this is arguably the best BR52, some prefer the Gutzold which has a more accurate rendering of some parts however the Liliput and Maerklin versions are not regarded as well.

Traction is good, the metal tub tender body helps as does the traction tyres. Quite a good motor too.

Cheers

Neil

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi Neil,

Thanks for the revue well done once again.

As you know I have the same Loco on the way with a few additional tanks and Stug's etc. Pity about it not coming with a smoke generator, the way the ad for it is structured it sure sounds like it should have but I guess when they say SOUND AND SMOKE that does not mean the the actual generator is installed I also see the Liliput flak wagon in camo in one of the pictures which is also nice.

Regards

Anthony

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Yes Anthony, the way they phrase it is smoke generator prepared which may catch some out. I suppose being prepared for a smoke generator is something as all you now have to do is to pop a smoke generator in the socket. A bit easier than having to make a holder and wire it in to the decoder. I got a couple of the flak wagons, one in camo and one without. They will go at either end of the Tiger train. I'll get some Wehrmacht figures to bring it to life a bit too.

cheers

Neil

·
In depth idiot
7,684 Posts
Fine review. There's something about heavy goods machines... This one just cries out for a few knocks and dents, and a whole heap of filth, to make it look like the hard working slogger it was.

It is strange that in a cost down design for war service the piston tail rods were retained. Practically everywhere else in the world it had been concluded that there was no wear penalty on the piston rings and cylinders, and the saving of a machined gland in one cylinder head per cylinder is significant. Do Roco supply a short tail rod cover to block the square recess in the front cylinder faces, if layout curves don't permit the scale length tail rod cover to be fitted?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great review! I just bought it on the strength of your review, from Modellbahnshop-Lippe, 399,00 Euros.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 17 Mar 2009, 21:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fine review. There's something about heavy goods machines... This one just cries out for a few knocks and dents, and a whole heap of filth, to make it look like the hard working slogger it was.

It is strange that in a cost down design for war service the piston tail rods were retained. Practically everywhere else in the world it had been concluded that there was no wear penalty on the piston rings and cylinders, and the saving of a machined gland in one cylinder head per cylinder is significant. Do Roco supply a short tail rod cover to block the square recess in the front cylinder faces, if layout curves don't permit the scale length tail rod cover to be fitted?
I don't remember noticing small ones but I will go back and check. There is quite a lot of add on detail parts in that bag so it's possible. I know they have done this on a few other models.

QUOTE Great review! I just bought it on the strength of your review, from Modellbahnshop-Lippe, 399,00 Euros.

I really wish you had asked where to get it first. Modelbahn Kramm have it for 359.10 Euro if you pay European VAT and 301 if you live outside the EU.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Ok, there are no short piston rod covers only long, however these long ones will not prevent the loco running on Radius three curves and above. They will not allow the loco to run on Radius two curves. The loco will run on radius two curves without the piston rod covers being installed. So if you're going with the radius two I guess you will have the two square holes showing.

The smoke generator required is a Seuthe 11 for digital operation.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Excellent review as ever Neil.

Is it just me or do the Roco models just keep getting better!

Regards

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Neil;

Sorry, that price was including VAT (which I don't pay as I live in the US) and shipping via DHL Express. Plus Lippe gives one a 3% kickback to spend on the next order. I've been buying a lot from them this year and they ship my orders for the EU price. So it works out quite well for me. I also buy from Modelbahn Kramm, but not in this case.

Davyd

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I think you are Peter

Regards

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dmeephd @ 18 Mar 2009, 21:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Neil;

Sorry, that price was including VAT (which I don't pay as I live in the US) and shipping via DHL Express. Plus Lippe gives one a 3% kickback to spend on the next order. I've been buying a lot from them this year and they ship my orders for the EU price. So it works out quite well for me. I also buy from Modelbahn Kramm, but not in this case.

Davyd
No problem Davyd, just concerned you weren't getting the best price. Modelbahn Kramm have a best price guarantee on their website now saying they will match anyone elses price on Roco Fleishmann and Brawa.

QUOTE Is it just me or do the Roco models just keep getting better!

To be honest Dave they have always been pretty good. Most of the stuff I bought before the change of management was from their Platin range which was pretty excellent stuff.

QUOTE a very nice piece of kit there neil.
i am not jealous at all.
not at all.
not even the slightest.
nope

well maybe just a little....

It is a nice model Peter, certainly one worth forking out for. There is also a non digital version which is cheaper.

You are welcome to pop round and have a shot of mine if you like.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts