Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has someone experiences to combine Roco Line and GeoLine on one track? I bought Starter Set with Line and ordered in addition GeoLine Rails, this was wrong seems to me. I can't assemble the parts, impossible without damaging of it. Any idea?

·
Administrator
9,941 Posts
As I understand it, Rocoline and Geoline are not compatible with each other, so you should choose one or the other but not both.
I suggest you return the Geoline to the shop for credit and get Rocoline instead.

David

·
Registered
76 Posts
Didn’t one or both become “end of line” recently?

·
Administrator
9,941 Posts
Didn’t one or both become “end of line” recently?
This Accessories catalogue on the Roco website https://www.roco.cc/uploads/news/Kataloge/20190910_Roco_Accessories.pdf

lists Rocoline with and without 'bedding' - ie built ballast. There is no mention of Geoline.

The new train sets in the 2021 Novelties programme catalogue - https://www.roco.cc/uploads/news/Kataloge/2021/20210112_ROCO_Novelties_2021.pdf
all come with Rocoline with bedding.

The lack of Geoline mentions imply it has been discontinued.

I remember reading an article, which I now cannot find, that there was a dispute over the rights to Rocoline at the time the current owners bought Roco out of receivership. The new owners needed a track system so the result was 'Geoline'. The dispute was subsequently settled and Rocoline became available once more.

I use Rocoline with bedding on my Continental Shelf layout.

David

·
Registered
76 Posts
I thought one or the other was out of production, I use Trix-C track on my layout (U.K.) mainly because everything is easy to lay, point motors are all in the track bed and it means there are is no wiring under the baseboard, it’s has been excellent track very reliable and my entire layout is fed with just one main track feed, one of the main reasons I chose Trix-C was the electrical connection between track pieces doesn’t rely on fishplates but nice electrical connection within the track bed, it’s been the most reliable (electrically) layout I’ve ever made.

Reactions: Julian2011

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi David, that's an interesting comment on the connection within the trackbed. I will have a look at the Trix-C website and have a look to see how that might apply to the N Gauge Kato track.

Julian
Funny you should say that as I also have a full Kato N gauge track layout as well, although it is now relegated to leaning up against the playroom wall, points are all motorised (but not DCC just the standard Kato DC switching) and the track is DCC all fed from just one point (another one, yes I break the rules ;) ), the Kato layout was layed about 15 years ago an I never bothered DCC’ing the points, I am sure you can now. I worked in Japan frequently and the exchange rate back then was so good I used to come back with a suitcase full of stuff.

·
C55
2,549 Posts
Funny you should say that as I also have a full Kato N gauge track layout as well, although it is now relegated to leaning up against the playroom wall, points are all motorised (but not DCC just the standard Kato DC switching) and the track is DCC all fed from just one point (another one, yes I break the rules ;) ), the Kato layout was layed about 15 years ago an I never bothered DCC’ing the points, I am sure you can now. I worked in Japan frequently and the exchange rate back then was so good I used to come back with a suitcase full of stuff.
That all sounds very good to me. Simple, straightforward and easily comprehensible. You are quite right about the Kato modern points, which have a PCB with patterns for DC, DCC and Point Power routing, all selected by screw heads making connections across suitably placed gaps. I guess that the system isn't particularly new. Frog power is already built in and for DCC, only needs a decoder with ability to switch enough power for the loco passing over it.

It sounds like it may be a waste of time and wire, putting some form of Bus round a small layout and in view of your comments will leave that aside, for now at least, thank you.

Julian

·
Registered
76 Posts
This was during initial layout and proving
Table Furniture Bookcase Interior design Lighting

And more recently, I had a push last year…something about more time to play, cannot imagine why?
Bookcase Shelf Floor Publication Shelving

No droppers needed, one feed to entire layout which also controls all the points from my Ecos controller, brilliant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts