Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One UK retailer has anounced that Roco have increased there prices by 10+%.
The way the notice is given,the retailer does not sound very impressed

David

·
Registered
305 Posts
QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 6 Nov 2007, 07:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One UK retailer has anounced that Roco have increased there prices by 10+%.
The way the notice is given,the retailer does not sound very impressed

David

The prices of the stock are online at www.roco.cc in euros, I just cross referenced it against my hardcopy and the prices are still the same. My retailer told me they have been lowering prices over the last year or so as the products are now made in Eastern Europe. Who knows though, maybe this price increase is coming soon rather than today.

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 6 Nov 2007, 18:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The prices of the stock are online at www.roco.cc in euros, I just cross referenced it against my hardcopy and the prices are still the same. My retailer told me they have been lowering prices over the last year or so as the products are now made in Eastern Europe.
I have to agree. I have heard nothing on the forums at www.1zu160.net about any increases! In fact the Roco N for this year is significantly cheaper than before, perhaps because the models are re-releases in most cases. For example a coach that cost £20-£22 last time and is about £13 this time as is the case for the FS coaches I bought at the SRS show from Winco. If anything Roco are reducing prices to the delight of N scale modellers generally, even if their freight wagons still don't have KKK.

Perhaps this un-named supplier trying to blame Roco for their own increase in costs? Perhaps new H0 is to be more expensive, unlike N reissues? I would think that the price fluctuations of one supplier in the UK, not a core market of Roco like Germany etc, are not good trend setters.

David, can you say who this retailer is? Then others can express an opinion - if you don't name them we can't comment on the specifics of the case - so there is no point in discussing it!

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
On the Sharps of Sheffield website for all to see:-

QUOTE Please Note; Due to the New 10+% Price increase landed on us This week, Only Items That Are In Stock Can Be Supplied at the Listed prices. All To-Order, Or Pre-Order Items Are Subject to a Further Increase. This Is Not Our Policy, But One That Has Been Landed On Us By The New Roco Management, I wonder How Long This Company Will Last With a Pricing Policy Like This???

Happy modelling
Gary

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 6 Nov 2007, 19:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On the Sharps of Sheffield website for all to see:-
Hello Gary,

It seems this applies to Roco H0 only, since they don't sell Roco N (or rather they do but only a small selection of discontinued items and not the current range). However they do say this about Trix/Minitrix in addition:

QUOTE Please Note; Due To The New Pricing & Discount Policy Put In Place By The New Owners Of Marklin/Trix We Are No Longer Able To Carry "Stocks" Of This Range.
We Will Gladly Quote & Then Order Any New Or Existing Stock Items For You, But Please Be Aware We Will Only Be Ordering When We Have A Sensible Sized Order (not Just 1 0r 2 Locos), And We Will Require a 25% Deposit (Non-Refundable) When You Place Your Order. To Check The Trix Web Site For Stock Click Here.

We Are Sorry About This But It Has Brought About By Matters That Are Beyond Our Control, We Have Informed The New Management Of Our Feelings On This Matter, But To-date It Has Not Made Any Difference, We Think That The Lack Of Sales From Here & Germany (Who Have The Same Problems) May Force Them To Change Their Current Position.

...so they would hardly be my first stop as a European modeller! I have not seen these sorts of comments on any other online-shop-website (but perhaps if you ask the owner for an opinion you will hear them again...) as I fail to see them encouraging more business. Customers are not interested in excuses, only the price and quality of service.

My my opinion, and mine only, Sharp are overpriced on the European side of things. I have not shopped with them but am considering buying the Hobbytrain IC2000 coaches in N which they are taking pre-orders on (the only people in the UK to do so??).

In the UK I would recommend Winco, Morris Models and The Hobby Shop off the top of my head. (I have absolutely no commercial interests in any modelling business...) but continental Europe is always best for European outline I suspect. It is normally a trade off between the extra-cost and the convenience of buying in the UK against having to either go on holiday or persuade someone on the continent to take credit cards (when other Europeans enjoy free cross-border bank transfers and we are ripped off to the tune of £10-£25 for each transfer leaving/entering the UK).

I suspect this a UK-only issue, if not an issue unique to Sharp's contract with Roco, and is irrelevant to Roco prices globally.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE I suspect this a UK-only issue, if not an issue unique to Sharp's contract with Roco, and is irrelevant to Roco prices globally.

I think Goedels right. I buy all my German outline from Germany and have noticed no variation such as this one other than the time they hiked German VAT from 16 to 20%. This obviously didn't affect me but it may have an effect in Europe. It could be the suppliers mark up or that Sharps' don't move that much stock? Who knows but I am surprised that they sell any Euro stock at all at those prices.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi Goedel, you beat me to that. I'd noticed that on the MG Sharp site complaining about Trix, I think their comments would ensure that nobody orders anything Trix from them(requiring 3 locos or more to process order which could be upto £600 in value). As I understand, Gaugemaster are the UK distributors for Trix so I don't see how this minimum bulk order works. I know of two shops in the Manchester area (Arcadia Rail in Shaw, very helpful) and Waltons in Altrincham who both stock Trix and get new stock in small numbers.

I'll speak with my local shop (Arcadia) this weekend as he's a major stockist of Roco.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
As a Roco dealer we will soon know when our next delivery is made - it would not be professional to comment on other retailers statements except to say that there is always another side !

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've seen some Roco locos , apparently brand new, on a trader's stand at a couple of local shows recently, for under £60. I'm assuming these are not second hand, but the price is certainly eyecatching - you tend to expect something twice that for Continental HO, and one would hope this might stimulate extra sales

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
In the light of the posts containing quotes from the trader (posts #4 & 5) I can only wonder if this is a case of the trader being "hoist by his own petard"? It would seem that this dealer has tried to impose what he is prepared to pay for their goods on the manufacturers, to which they have, in my opinion, quite fairly and reasonably told him they won't play. Maybe a little too much greed?

Regards

·
Registered
233 Posts
Roco are about to release another sub £50 model of the DR 114 BoBo in competition with the likes of Trix and Piko for their hobby ranges.

I do not regard this as retrograde as it will be a very useful model for that particular sector of the market and should provide a very useful basis.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I have heard (but cannot confirm either way) from an ex-employee of a very large toy retailer that this retailer chooses what they wish to buy & the price they are prepared to pay the to supplier/manufacture on a "take it or leave it" basis - could just be true, especially with the way it's just come to light (to me at least) the "arrangements" about magazines between some publishers & some sellers.

Just a pity the playing field is just not level for large & small alike, but that's life.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE It would seem that this dealer has tried to impose what he is prepared to pay for their goods on the manufacturers

An interesting strategy but unlikely surely as one stockist is not the be and and end all for Roco and if I was Roco I would tell whoever approached me with this intent to get stuffed! Unless my name was Tesco or Toys R Us as hinted at above.

I may be wrong of course!

What next? Roco customers approaching dealers and telling them what they are prepared to pay for Roco items in their shop!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
305 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 7 Nov 2007, 15:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>An interesting strategy but unlikely surely as one stockist is not the be and and end all for Roco and if I was Roco I would tell whoever approached me with this intent to get stuffed! Unless my name was Tesco or Toys R Us as hinted at above.

I may be wrong of course!

What next? Roco customers approaching dealers and telling them what they are prepared to pay for Roco items in their shop!

Happy modelling
Gary

You mean you don't haggle?

·
Registered
144 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 7 Nov 2007, 19:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You mean you don't haggle?

Having followed this thread with interest, may I just make one small comment. This concerns Sharpes methods. I enquired by phone about another product from a European manufacturer and was told that an order would be placed, but it may take some time as there was a requirement for a minimum order.
I subsequently contacted the European manufacturer of this item and was told that there was NO minimum order requirement. Indeed, an order, no matter how small, would be dealt with as soon as received, and despatched.
My reaction to this was to place an order via a German dealer and I had the goods within one week. There was no minimum order requirement.

woolwinder

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (woolwinder @ 7 Nov 2007, 22:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Having followed this thread with interest, may I just make one small comment. This concerns Sharpes methods. I enquired by phone about another product from a European manufacturer and was told that an order would be placed, but it may take some time as there was a requirement for a minimum order.
I subsequently contacted the European manufacturer of this item and was told that there was NO minimum order requirement. Indeed, an order, no matter how small, would be dealt with as soon as received, and despatched.
My reaction to this was to place an order via a German dealer and I had the goods within one week. There was no minimum order requirement.

woolwinder

Seems a little strange to purchase a european product from a UK outlet when you are (according to your details) already in Germany.

Although some manufacturers do have a minimum order (it's usually to get the goods shipping free). Depending on what the customer wanted we would either order the item(s) there & then, or just make up the order with some general stock items.

We hear some strange excuses (note the word excuse, not reason) about some outlets, but there is often two sides.

·
Registered
144 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 8 Nov 2007, 10:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Seems a little strange to purchase a european product from a UK outlet when you are (according to your details) already in Germany.

Although some manufacturers do have a minimum order (it's usually to get the goods shipping free). Depending on what the customer wanted we would either order the item(s) there & then, or just make up the order with some general stock items.

We hear some strange excuses (note the word excuse, not reason) about some outlets, but there is often two sides.

dbclass 50,

Not strange at all. I was told about this product and that it was on their website. Up to this point, I did not know about the product. It was when I looked at it that I discovered its' origin. Also, (according to my details), I am in Germany. Incidentally, I am now persueing another product to find out if it is available in the UK. I know it is available here. More on that later.

woolwinder

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (woolwinder @ 8 Nov 2007, 10:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Incidentally, I am now persueing another product to find out if it is available in the UK. I know it is available here. More on that later.

Now I'm very very curious....................

Regards

1 - 20 of 30 Posts