Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
is asleep
758 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'm putting together an ÖBB "Rollende Landstraße" train which should look perfect on my Swiss/Austrian layout in the mountain valleys around Innsbruck because the prototype operates between Vienna and Feldkirch (near the Swiss border) and so crosses the whole of Austria:

using the Fleischmann waggons 8270 A1 (end low loader) and 8271 A1 (middle low loader):

but I don't like the feeble articulated trucks that come with the Fleischmann DB version of the rolling road:

Can I therefore ask for opinions from fellow modellers on which articulated lorries I should use, in terms of not only accuracy and suitability for Austria but more importantly in terms of which manufacturers produce the most detailed / reasonably priced / widest selection of models etc. because I'm not really sure who the manufacturers are?

I know lots about the 1:160 train manufacturers (but it seems only Roco used to make N scale lorries?) but nothing at all about 1:160 vehicle manufacturers! The lorries must be to scale because I imagine 1:148 or 1:150 could be a bit of a squeeze to put on the rolling road waggons! (And would snag on the catenary, if I ever get round to making some!)

The ÖBB version of the Rollende Landstraße train seems to be a one-off special by Fleischmann and I fear it will be far more difficult to get hold of the waggons than the lorries!

Thanks in advance,

Goedel

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hi Goedel,

my (future) father in law models N-gauge, and I passed your question on to him.

He recommended Herpa 1:160 trucks very strongly. Whether there are Austrian designs as well he didn´t know by heart, from his recollection, he said yes there are.

The latest release was a chrome-plated tank truck, with a few add-on parts (German style
) to be placed on the truck by the buyer.

I´m not sure whether I´m allowed to do so, but since Goedel speaks German, there´s a German forum dedicated specifically to N gauge at www.1zu160.net. If I´m not supposed to name this link, would the webmaster please feel free to remove this part of the post. However, N guage vehicles had been discussed at nauseam there (according to my gf´s dad, anyway).

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
I can't answer your question but just want to say that my wife rather likes the lorry trains we have seen passing through Spiez and Thun on their way to and from the Loetschberg tunnel in the Bernese Oberland. I guess one day there will be one running on my OO 1950's steam west Yorkshire layout, but only if she's buying....

David

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Goedel,

As ME 26-06 says Herpa do some N scale road vehicles, as do Wiking, Busch and I believe AMW and Rietze, Its a shame you don't need HO ones as I could easily supply a few of them.

Regards

John

·
is asleep
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (ME 26-06)He recommended Herpa 1:160 trucks very strongly. Whether there are Austrian designs as well he didn´t know by heart, from his recollection, he said yes there are.
QUOTE (BRITHO)As ME 26-06 says Herpa do some N scale road vehicles, as do Wiking, Busch and I believe AMW and Rietze, Its a shame you don't need HO ones as I could easily supply a few of them.
Thanks very much for the advice. I did notice the H0 ones in the Trix Neuheiten 2007, modellers of which also get the Rh 1012 'splinter locomotive' as they refer to it!

I do try very hard to ignore all the super H0 models not (yet) available in N...

Goedel

·
is asleep
758 Posts
I was very pleased to recently view this picture:

Picture: Harald Walkner http://www.br146.de

Since it means I can justify buying the new Minitrix E189 ÖBB Dispolok (12753) due later this year:

And interestingly an ordinary Bcmz coach is used for the lorry drivers to rest in instead of a specially painted one (perhaps that is normal anyway
) and was made as recently as 2006 by Roco (24384):

Excellent, that just leaves the actual Rolala waggons to source...

Goedel

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (goedel @ 13 Apr 2007, 19:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only pictures of these waggons when coupled that I've been able to find are these:

Pictures from: http://mypage.bluewin.ch/waendi/
(The N-Bahn Club Watt have a large and impressive N scale Swiss layout under construction with lots of pictures as things progress...well worth a visit for visual info on constructing Alpine scenery, and just what teamwork can achieve...)

Can anyone comment on the special coupling mechanism these waggons have?

Is the coupling nice and close? Anywhere near a scale distance? If anyone can furnish this thread with a better picture I would be most grateful!

Thanks,
Goedel

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (goedel @ 20 Apr 2007, 22:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Excellent, that just leaves the actual Rolala waggons to source...

I found a supplier in Austria and now they are on order!
Does anyone have an idea of prototypical train length, I don't have a photo with a complete train on so that I can count the trucks?

It seems that the ROLA wagons are produced by Fleischmann for Austria, Switzerland and now Italy and then sold as special export models to only their own country, while the DB ones are available everywhere even in the UK (Not at a very good price...but at least available)! I found a full list of the ROLA models at this archive (a useful website for info on all the European N scale models, in German though):
http://www.modellbahn-spur-n.de

For reference here are the pictures of the different versions of the end wagon with removable buffers:

ÖBB end wagon (Fleischmann 92 8270 or 8270A). One notices the ÖKOMBI logo who operate the trains in Austria which *I think* is a subsiduary of Rail Cargo Austria that is the subsiduary of the ÖBB Group. Can anyone correct me on this?

SBB end wagon (Fleischmann 90 8270 or 8270CH).

FS end wagon (Fleischmann 93 8270 or 8270I).

Goedel

·
is asleep
758 Posts
At, last they have arrived! Here is an example picture of what may be achieved with Herpa trucks:

Looks good even when unweathered and I should soon have a rake of 10 to rola with...
...Herpa please release more truck designs in N scale! They're great but I need more designs, or at least a bulk load of the blank ones so that I can decorate them myself...

Goedel

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Hi Goedel,

Can anyone comment on the special coupling mechanism these waggons have?
Is the coupling nice and close? Anywhere near a scale distance? If anyone can furnish this thread with a better picture I would be most grateful!

The piccolo Fleischmann profi couplers will do the job as close as you can get.

cheers
Baykal

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 22 Jun 2007, 21:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for that picture Baykal - I thought all the Fleischmann DB versions came with feeble Wiking trucks but that Hoffmann truck is definitely Herpa - I'll have to buy it for the truck and then sell the DB RoLa wagon!!

They do couple quite closely as you say, with the special clip that can be seen on the left of the picture. The wagons don't have a kinematic close coupling mechanism because there isn't any room - the wagons are so low down in order to fit the top of the trucks safely under the catenary.

It seems that Fleischmann have re-released the same DB RoLa wagons with some new wagons to replace the more old fashoned trucks used before. So far I have found these Herpa truck ones:

Fleischmann 8272 available 2007-

Fleischmann 8277 available 2003-5

Fleischmann 8279 available 2005-7 (same as above)

If anyone spots other Herpa trucks uniquely available via Fleischmann then please do post them here! The more the merrier, and the more prototypical...

Goedel

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Goedel,

I am not sure where I saw it, it might either be from Fleischmann or that Faller car system, a ramp, where these trucks climb up into the wagons. Than again it might be in HO not sure. ( getting old ,turned 54 yesterday, loosing brain cells by the day.)

cheers
Baykal

·
Registered
193 Posts
QUOTE (goedel @ 13 May 2007, 02:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One notices the ÖKOMBI logo who operate the trains in Austria which *I think* is a subsiduary of Rail Cargo Austria that is the subsiduary of the ÖBB Group. Can anyone correct me on this?

Goedel

Dear Goedel,

Yes, these companies are all private companies owned by the Austrian State Railway (OeBB). OeKOMBI is a subsidiary of Rail Cargo AG. Rail Cargo AG is basically the freight operation of OeBB spun off and combined with some other companies. There is more on this at the Rail Cargo AG Website and the OeKOMBI Website.

Regards
John Russell
Vienna, Austria

1 - 15 of 15 Posts