Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Can anyone recommend a decent but not too expensive rolling road ?

I saw a Hornby one in a shop recently, but it had a mix of fixed track and rollers, so was only suitable for steam, or older, single drive bogie diesels.

Could the track be removed, and additional rollers fitted ? They had them in the shop and the slots for the rollers ran along then whole length of the item.

Suggestions please.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 9 Apr 2008, 16:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bachrus

Look good and seem good value. Having a look for them has also brought up a Stoke firm called "Rolling Roads", which seem to be okay. Anyone any experience of using any of these ? Are they any good, well made etc.

They dont't seem too expensive either - I'm pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
QUOTE (dieselweasel @ 9 Apr 2008, 16:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can anyone recommend a decent but not too expensive rolling road ?

I saw a Hornby one in a shop recently, but it had a mix of fixed track and rollers, so was only suitable for steam, or older, single drive bogie diesels.

Could the track be removed, and additional rollers fitted ? They had them in the shop and the slots for the rollers ran along then whole length of the item.

Suggestions please.....

Hello.
I think Gaugemaster have something as well.If the Hornby one's were cheap you could get two & run them back to back.

·
Registered
536 Posts
QUOTE (dieselweasel @ 9 Apr 2008, 17:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can anyone recommend a decent but not too expensive rolling road ?

Suggestions please.....
Hi
I use the Hornby R8211 RR and my latest purchase the Bachmann NRM Deltic was run in on dc on the RR for an hour in each direction.
Hornby have a little block at one end that holds up the non roller supported bogie.
The power slots for the rollers run full length, so it may be possible to remove the fixed track? Of course additional R8212 rollers would then be needed.
For the price I paid (£31.00 on ebay) it was I feel a good buy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow, impressive pictures!
Nice American locos.

I was told by a friend that some company are going to produce
a "real" rolling road, i.e. with rubber rolling belts rather than rollers.
The shape of those belts will be the shape of scaled rails.
That idea really impresses me. I am really looking forward to
seeing them. But I am wondering how can they supply the power:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another reason of expecting a belt style rolling road is my special loco, the 2-8-8-2 big boy.
20 rollers are really too many to have ;-)

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 10 Apr 2008, 11:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you are interested in this sort of thing, check out the review that we did here.

I read it. Excellent article.
I saved the pages and downloaded all pics.
I wish I can own it one day.
But currently I think I will be scared by the price.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE Another reason of expecting a belt style rolling road is my special loco, the 2-8-8-2 big boy.

You could get away with just four sets if you use small saddles for the pony / trailing trucks and a roller under each pair of outer wheels.

When I was trying to diagnose and fix pickup problems, I used a single roller on the drive axle under investigation and saddles for the truck at the opposite end of the chassis.

David

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I also have the Bachrus and think its a great product.

Rob

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (flygopher @ 10 Apr 2008, 20:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Another reason of expecting a belt style rolling road is my special loco, the 2-8-8-2 big boy.
Sorry to be a pedant as I hate when people do this to me but the Big Boy is a 4-8-8-4, the Challenger is the 2-8-8-2.

sorry again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just found I have been cheated by the damn yankee for almost two years!
I bought the loco from Ebay and the seller is a yank!
I actually have no idea of American locos and only impressed by the number of
driving wheels. It got more driving wheels than all my British stream locos.
So I think I keep one. The loco came with no box and no name plates or transfers.
I apparently paid extra prices for the four wheels less :-(

Thanks for letting me know. Very appreciated. I have changed the small label I made
for it in the display. Fortunately none of my friends who were impressed by this loco
knew the actual name :)

BTW, I have emailed the yank to blame but the email address is no longer valid and
the ebay id is unregistered.

Be aware of Yanks!

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (flygopher @ 12 Apr 2008, 09:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Be aware of Yanks!

A little unfair - after all, would all the residents of the UK want to be judged by one example (tony blair ?).

You do have to be careful on fleabay, but then you have to be careful at swapmeets too.

As it happens I have often heard Challengers called Bigboys so maybe the seller was not an expert.

G

·
QUOTE (TonyDaly @ 10 Apr 2008, 01:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello.
I think Gaugemaster have something as well.If the Hornby one's were cheap you could get two & run them back to back.

I use a Guagemaster it is excellent.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Dick @ 2 May 2008, 03:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I use a Guagemaster it is excellent.

So do I & it really is an excellent bit of kit, albeit expensive - it does give you a handy 1amp variable voltage bench power supply as well as usable as a controller.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts